Wire Fishing Leader

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Jun 25, 2008.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i saw these at a garage sale and i was curious ....... does anyone take these ( they have a snap on them ) and put a normal hook on them for cut bait ?????

i no some of you use wire leaders but do they all have the snap on them ????

i asume that their main purpose is to hold on to lures for toothy fish right???

can anyone help me!!!!!!!!

their on catconnection
    Item Number: WL12

2. koondawg

koondawg New Member

State:
    texas
    I use them at times. and I use the stuff that comes on a spool and is about like ballin wire. I find it to be very effective in areas that have a lot of cover, If the fish wraps around something then the abraviseness of the obstacle will not cause the line to fail.

3. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    I use these also and agree with koondawg, The wire leaders are also affective with live bait when you get the heavier gauge wire, somthing like 60lb and above. The baitfish does not wrap your leader up on your main line as much they just swim in circles around the sinker. "that is with a carolina rig"

4. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    so you dont use the ones that have a snapswivel on them...

i can get some that are 12 inches long and are really cheap but i have a mental block about putting a swivel buy your bait :crazy: it just dont seem right to me

5. FLATHEAD STEVE

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    I do use the snapswivel 12 inch 80lb leaders, and you don't have to worry about catfish caring that there is anything by your bait, swivel or sinker. (THEY DON'T CARE) they are predators and could care less about anything but food, I once thought that they might be line shy, sinker shy swivel shy but they are not. there is a good artical in the IN-FISHERMAN 2008 guide about the superstitions of catfishing, it was written by Doug Stange who I believe has the most knowledge on catfishing than anyone alive. the article contains other interesting "FACTS" aswell..... hope this helps bro

6. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

i basically fish for channels but ive had a problem large # mono leaders being destroyed by 2-3 lb channels..... im glad that people use store bought stuff like this because it makes it easier to have confidence in them....

7. FLATHEAD STEVE

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    I use SPRO products you can find them in bass pro or cabelas

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have used the single strand from the smallest to the heaviest that I could buy.1/64 & 1/32 spinner bait & jigs for Bream to the 275 lb.for bait rigs for others.The reason on Bream baits is that Chain Pickerel and Red Fin Pike often hit these small lures in black water.Great for fresh and saltwater use.I used a Haywire twist.I have also made up 8-24 ft.auto Emergency Brake Cable and other stranded cable for Shark fishermen.These are put together with sleeves.We used the crimping pliers or tool sold to electrocutions for crimping electrical wire sleeves.You can often pick up a good up to 50 year old pair in a Pawn shop or at a Flea market.Keep them clean and oiled for a lifetime of use.You want the pliers with multiple size crimps in the jaws.The fancy crimping pliers sold to fishermen are often very expensive and can be of much lesser quality.

Do not overlook the Weed Eater cord.You can often find it on sale and at yard sales.It makes great tough leaders with the proper sleeves.Also.some of the electrical sleeves will do for mono & strand.They are usually much cheaper.Some are steel and will rust but so will your hooks if not oiled.Clear Drug store Mineral Oil on hooks will not bother fish.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

9. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Leroy I believe I know exactly what you are speaking about...My friend attaches the hook straight to the metal clip...He finds this quicker and easier..I don't like doing this for a few reasons....First is the cost involved of buying these to be lost to the many snags...Second i don't trust those clips on big fish...I had these things open on me on small 4 or 5 pound channel cat...As a matter fact a small bait fish popped open the clip on my buddy two weeks ago...He was using the real cheap ones instead of the normal Eagle Claw on he uses..the hook just kind of dangles on the clip altering the point of attack of the hook..

Attached Files:

10. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I hate them. I just use what ever line my main spool is set up with.

11. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

HAVE EITHER ONE OF YOU EVER CAUGHT A DESENT SIZED CHANNELL OR FLATHEAD ON THESE LEADERS.... I HAVE A PACK OF 12 CHEAP ONES NOW AND WAS GONA TRY TO GET A CHANNEL SETING IN ONCE BEFORE SCHOOL STARTS....

12. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I dont like them but a friend of mine catches fish with them.

13. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    for the price.....its better not to cut corners...... thanks yall but ill stick to making my own mono leaders