Wire fish basket vs stringer

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by Catfishbigw, Sep 10, 2020.

1. Catfishbigw

Catfishbigw Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Name:
    Wesley
    Do y'all prefer to keep your catch in a wire fish basket like 20200909_203415_1599701656591.jpeg this or a stringer?

Flat Top likes this.
  2. jsickle

jsickle Member

State:
    iowa
    Name:
    JP
    Basket, always hope for one that is to big.LOL

Flat Top and WildBillVMI like this.

3. WildBillVMI

WildBillVMI Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Bill
    I use both. The basket is great unless you have strong current. I always end up catching a lot of river trash in mine!

Flat Top likes this.
  4. Flat Top

Flat Top Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    George
    Go to IKEA and get a large mesh laundry basket...about 8 bucks last time I checked. I have used mine for 4 years and it is still in great shape...they are tough....they are round, and have a lid that Velcros shut....they also collapse into a pancake for easy storage. I just tie a line to one handle and set it in the water. Keeps the catch alive and frisky and can be used on the bank or in a boat.. When done just wash it with a garden hose, collapse it and store it away.

tuscan toadfish and metalman like this.
  5. truckgrandpa

truckgrandpa Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Name:
    Bill
    I have both.
    I did use zip ties to fasten a pool noodle around the top of my basket so it will float.
    And I have a problem with the stringer I bought at Walmart. The bloody thing is 15’ long. I’m going to shorten it ( probably cut off at least 5 or 6 feet)

Flat Top likes this.
  6. twaskom

twaskom Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    A stringer too long is much better than a stringer too short.

Flat Top likes this.
  7. Jbuck

Jbuck Well-Known Member

State:
    il
    Name:
    Jay
    I don't like stringers but there have been times I couldn't get a basket in water deep enough to keep it from collapsing from the bank. Fishing from a boat for pan fish a basket is what I like best.

Flat Top likes this.
  8. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    I have found out that if you catch some bluegill to use as bait, and keep it in your pond overnight until you can go fishing, the turtles will bend the crap out of your wire basket. It will not look anything like it did when you started.

R. D. Hilton and Flat Top like this.
  9. truckgrandpa

truckgrandpa Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Name:
    Bill
    So true.
    But, the only choices I have found- 6’ or 15’.
    Six foot stringer, when fishing from a dock with a fence- too short. Bank fishing with a 15 footer, WAY too long.

Hmm, nothing is ever perfect. :)

Flat Top likes this.
  10. bowhunter63

bowhunter63 Well-Known Member

State:
    Springfield Mo
    Name:
    Scott
    I like a basket keeps them alive better and screws the turtles making a meal of them

Flat Top likes this.
  11. R. D. Hilton

R. D. Hilton Well-Known Member

State:
    tx
    For over night in a river or lake we used a washer tube plug the bottom with a board.

Flat Top likes this.
  12. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    That would work R.D. I have a heavy wire cage that I should have used but I was in a hurry so I just took the basket off the boat and tied it to the dock. Turtles mangled it up pretty good. Didn't break the wire or get in but the basket will never look the same.

Flat Top likes this.
  13. Don Fischer

Don Fischer Well-Known Member

State:
    Cental Oregon
    Name:
    Don Fischer
    Never fished for ct's out of my boat but use a long 1/4" rope for a stringer. Made one end stiff with epoxy nd a look in the other end. Get a fish I cut a hole under the jaw for the stringer Have used my boat mostly for crappie and keep a decent size cooler in there with a couple bags of ice. When I do go for cats in the boat I'll use the same cooler and ice.

Flat Top likes this.