Wire drop line for Trotlines

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by truman lake guy, Jan 19, 2006.

1. truman lake guy

truman lake guy New Member

State:
    mo
    hi everyone. new member as of today !! im tired of broken line,tying knots,etc. i have rigged up some drops with malin -7 wire ,which is 7 strand flex wire at 250lb test. from bass pro saltwater catalog.. i have a heavy crimper and momoi's sleeves at 300lb test.also have cabellas 16/0 king kat circle hooks.there are no knots !!!! can i expect problems with this ?? thanks for all ur tips in here. bill

2. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Never used that . I always use number 9 twisted nylon for the trotters or drops. I will break one sometimes. But not enough to switch.
    Also what is the main line size?
    Are you fishing in snags? If they break that stuff your using now. I guess its time for Aircraft cable next.

The fish may twist off that if you do not use a swivel.

I have started building 8 new trot lines. Mine will be in jumper boxs. I put them out in the evening and take them up in the AM.
    will be using number 18 line for the main line and number 9 for the trotters. with the 7/0 circle hooks snelled on and a swivel in each one.
    Pete

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i dont think youll have any problems breaking fish off, but i do see a problem with the stranded wire. if you get stuck with a hook in the leg or somewhere else, or a fish is hooked really deep your gonna have a hard time cuttin that wire unless you opt to cut the mainline. i myself would rather go with a heavier braided line than wire, its not as dangerous and would be easier to deal with. if you go with wire PLEASE keep a pair of wire cutters strapped on you! you might want to check your laws also, in ohio its illegal to use wire, it is VERY dangerous!

4. truman lake guy

State:
    mo
    ty guys! the main line is #48 ,about 450lb test. i have made the lines with about 5 drops only about 10 ft apart. i did make a couple with wire at the hook and braided line after that to the main line. soo i can cut that one off if need be. there are gar and snappin turtles in truman lake in missouri, that may be what sometimes cuts the lines.. yes i do use rosco 300lb swivels as i like live carp or green sunfish for bait. it is pretty stumpy where i fish.

5. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Bill
    I see your from my neck of the woods.
    I dont run trout lines myself but I wouldnt think you would need that heavy of droppers and hooks. I live at Warsaw if your around let me know and we can go wet a line some time. We are having a get together in May on Truman, hope you can join us.
    Again welcome to you!!!

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Bill, maybe I'm wrong, but I'm guessing that your main problem is that the fish is able to get too solid a pull against the dropper. I use 100# braided nylon (doubled) for my droppers, and I've never had one broken by a fish. Unless I'm tying up to something that's got some give to it, though, I always rig some kind of shock absorber to the mainline. My favorite method is to come out a ways from where the line is tied to the stump and tie on a 10# rock; then I do the same thing at the other end. How far out? Well, that's something you just have to get a feel for. You put the line in place between the two stumps with a bit (or a lot) of slack in it, so that when the two rocks are tied on the line goes down into the water at a steep angle, holding the mainline taut. When a big fish pulls, it has to raise one or both of the 10# rocks, and the further it raises it, the harder it gets to raise. Of course, you can also use heavy duty bungee cords or sections of an inner tube. Don't put the bungee cord in as a 'weak link', or you're liable to lose your trotline. Instead tie the bungee cord in place so that it forms a loose loop in the mainline--as a fish pulls on the mainline, the bungee cord stretches more and more, and the loop gets smaller and smaller. If the bungee cord should break, you've lost your shock absorber, but the mainline is still intact.

You will absolutely have to have swivels with your 7-strand wire. Maybe even one at the top and another at the bottom. When that wire is twisted it forms a kink that's almost impossible to get out. So, if you get a few kinks, instead of your dropper hanging down nicely, it looks more like a regular nylon dropper that was dipped in concrete and dropped on the ground to harden. Of course, pulling on the hook will cause it to straighten out, but a fish might have to pull half the length of the dropper before it tightens so it can hook the fish. I'd say to give it a try on 3 or 4 droppers before you go to the trouble of changing them all.

7. truman lake guy

State:
    mo
    appreciate the info guys, i have been jug fishin , but the fish seem to be in shallower water with stumps. sooo i am switchin to a few trotlines also. i put out one last year and did fairly well.i put in at sparrowfoot at truman and plan to put a trailer at cozy corner rv park.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've got some trotlines, but I really prefer not to trotline alone. Maybe I'll make up some jumpboxes so I can put out the lines quickly when I've got a partner. When I'm jugfishing, my bottom hook is normally 12' below the surface, but I've done very well on shallow lakes using only one hook 3.5'-4' below the surface. Come spring, I'm planning on setting some jugs out on a very shallow lake; the hooks will be 18"-24" deep. I know a guy who used to have good luck jugfishing that way.

9. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That sounds like a great idea, I had not thought of using wire droppers but it would make it much sturdier.