Wipers on cut bait

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by treddinwater, Jun 3, 2006.

1. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I was night fishing a residential lake this past weekend for catfish, and they stocked wipers in there a few years ago and haven't caught one since the original stocking. Well its about 11 at night and one of my poles that I'd thrown out there with cut chub on it starts to bend and i set the hook, fight on. It's not fighting like a catfish at all and I shine my flashlight on it and see that it's a wiper. I know I've caught white bass on chicken livers before, but I had never heard of wipers or stripers hitting dead baits like that. Anybody else ever catch them on dead baits?

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Catch them on chicken livers all the time at La Cygne Reservoir in Kansas.

3. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I regularly catch hybrid stripers on cut bait here in the Ohio River. especially cut shad and skipjack. Vern

4. treddinwater

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Glad I'm not the only one. Maybe this can be a good way to catch them out of this lake, most of the neighbors I talk to said they hadn't caught or seen them in there for about 2 years and thought they might have all gone over the dam. I remember when they first put them in there you could site fish for them because they would chase baitfish to the surface out on the main lake. But since then, none have been caught or seen.

5. kyblue49

kyblue49 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    ive caught 100s of wipers and stripes on cut skip jack.its just like cattin but alot easier when there running.

6. treddinwater

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Yeah, I noticed I would start getting hits like a minute or 2 after I would throw out my bait, which is usually not that common when catfishing.