Wipers in Pennsylvania!

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by bigpapa15206, May 14, 2006.

1. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    white bass X striped bass = WIPER!
    has anybody ever caught one? man do they fight like hell! and they hit like a bolt of lightning. ive inly caught them by mistake, so whats a good spot and technique for them.

2. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    use anything that looks like a shad (rattletraps and X-raps).
    But I've seen them mostly caught on 4 or 5 inch white grubs.

3. MealsOnReels

MealsOnReels New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Whipers are a hoot to catch. They fight like bulldogs. I have had them straighten out a hook on a rapalla. Best bait to use would be live shad, have also caught a lot trolling with lead core line using Rat'l Traps or large white Rooster Tail spinners. Good eatin also:smile2:

4. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Your wrght they fight tike the dickens. About five years ago the D.N.R. put some in our local lake(Lake manawa in Co. Bluffs Ia.) and there around 5/6 pounds now . ive cought several now on spinner baits and led heads while fishing for crappie.Big catman0816.

5. Bucktail033

Bucktail033 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Phil i caught a monster wiper yesterday at the dam on a shad rap. I lost the shad rap right after i caught that one but my brother has that little scale it weighed in at 2 pounds. I know its not big for a fish but that wiper faught like a mother.

6. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Where do you find these Wipers?

7. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Havent fished for the wipers in a couple of years.Used to have a spot on the mon behind a power plant with a warm water outlet. WE would use white jigs or skirted jigs tipped with shiners.I remember one time we caught about of dozen of those wipers with most of them being 5 pounds wow those fish fought like carp on steroids.

8. trackeryak

trackeryak New Member

State:
    Mechanicsburg PA
    Hybrid Stipers are stocked in Pinchot State Park in York County each year. They average about 10 lbs. Biggest I know of was 19 lbs. Catfish guys get them on chicken livers and some guys cast jerkbaits and big topwater baits for them. I work at the tackle shop across from the park office at Pinchot. Right now they are getting them at night between 10 pm and 4 am near the main boat ramp. They push big schools of gizzard shad into the cove there after dark and the explosions of them busting shad will get your attention!

9. Brett2

Brett2 Guest

I got about 7 last year on chicken livers in a river.. up to 9 pounds... and i lost one on a worm a few few from shore that i would say was about 12+ lbs. They fight pretty well but the seem to act like they are dead when they get near the boat. They look stunned and almost dead, but will eventually swim off fine.