Wiper

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by brian sax, Aug 17, 2005.

1. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    what is a good bait to use when going for wiper. i was thinking maybe a fluke style rubber worm or for live bait maybe a nice shad. and if shore fishing for them would you want to cast out into the deepest part.

2. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    Brian-There is a guy at dabinawa who only fishes for wiper. He just uses chicken liver under a bobber like he was fishing for cats. He also catches some when he fly fishes with a really big fly. he said they were like trout, and the are very line shy, but i don't know i have never tried it.

3. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    does he catch them close to shore?

4. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    He catches them pretty close to shore, he usually casts from his dock about 20 ft. from shore. But he chums for them, they will come up to the surface and eat the catfish food with the catfish and carp. that is how he catches them on flies. (the smp report says wiper good on topwater by the dam)

5. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    i have read that wiper fishing there is good, i saw it in a few mags.

6. ArkansasRiverBlues

ArkansasRiverBlues New Member

When fishing for hybrid striped bass (wipers) you generally want to locate the bait fish they will be feeding on to catch them, which is easiest to do if you can see them busting the surface (or find bait schools on sonar). They dont relate to structure or depth for the most part, they mainly just relate to prey. In flowing water they will relate to current breaks to help them feed more effectively, usually just on the slack side of the current seam is where they will wait in ambush for forage, also try immediately below riffles or tailwaters in the "boil". When you find out what theyre eating, try to imitate it, its nearly always some sort of small fish. Jigs tipped with 2-6" sassy shad or 3-4"curly tail grubs work great, topwater lures such as chuggers and zara spooks work well on surfacing fish, large hard plastic jerkbaits in herring or shad patterns work well for larger fish. Basically anything that imitates bait fish can produce a hybrid. Of course live shad and herring are very effective baits, especially under a float, or free lined.

7. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    thank you for the info, i will try to get some sometime.

8. holmesridge

holmesridge New Member

spoons are deadly wiper bait.

9. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I catch wiper out of the Neosho river here in Kansas using mainly chicken liver or shad when I'm catfishing, but I also do catch them on a 1/8 or 1/4 chartreuse jighead with a 3" rubber swimn' minnow in blue thunder color when I'm whitebass fishing. Those suckers can really fight, especially on light tackle and even more so in current. 10 lb was my best this year.

10. holmesridge

holmesridge New Member

Caught this the other day. On live skip jack.

Attached Files:

11. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I usually fish with jigs when I fish for hybrids. Roadrunner jigs works well for me. :D