Winyah Bay blue catfish

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by blackwaterkatz, Feb 3, 2007.

1. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Well, I've been cooped up for a couple of weeks without being able to fish, couldn't stand it any longer. Rivercatsc said he was going, so I loaded up and went that way too.
    Winds were from the north and west at 10-15 all day, air temp was cold with the wind chill, and water temp was around 46 degrees. I fished an area where the Black & PeeDee Rivers come into the bay, only had 1 bite after the tide started falling. Checked a couple of deeper holes upriver, but couldn't really find any fish in numbers. It was a really high tide today, maybe that's why. I finally motored on around to the Waccamaw River side and set up on the upstream side of the US17 bridge, anchoring so I could cast shallow into about 10' of water, and also into about 30'. I ended up boating a total of 7 blues from 2# - 20#. Not bragging size, but considering the weather and all, I'll take it. When the tide got near low, the bite dropped way off. I caught most of the fish after the tide was about half way out, in the same area, on the same rod, using small frozen herring, slashed across the gut pocket, and cut off the tail. I was using a carolina rigged 7/0 gama octopus circle on a 12" leader, and 6-8 oz no-roll sinkers. The bites came as the current would gradually pull the bait from the shallow flat into the drop-off.
    The 20# and the 2# were released. I haven't eaten any fish stew in quite a while, so everything else goes into a family sized catfish stew. :wink:
    It felt great to be back on the water, and I got to watch as Rivercatsc's wife landed a nice blue. She's a tough lady to be out there today with her husband in that cold wind.

Attached Files:

2. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Nice catch! We did not fare as well on Monticello. The bite was tough.

3. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    It was windy today, Rodger. I bet it was pretty rough up there. That's mainly why I didn't want to fish santee cooper today. I was reading the report from monty earlier. This weather change probably had a lot to do with things, too, I bet.

4. gowens

gowens New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Nice job. Thats a good stringer of fish. Wish I could have been there with yall. Working night shift this weekend.

5. SHELLCAT

SHELLCAT New Member

State:
    Georgetown,S.C.
    Mr. Tommy-nice catch-good to hear news from home and the catfish are biting.I am from Georgetown but i have been in Afghanistan since last June. I love to catfish and miss being there-sure is good to see you had a good report-keep em coming.

6. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Hey, Shelley, welcome to the BOC. If you love to catfish, this is the place to be. I hope you will get back home before too much longer and be able to catch some of those cats. Keep your head down, buddy. :smile2:

7. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    NICE CATCH FOR THIS TIME OF YEAR I WOULDNT COMPLAIN EITHER CONGRATS

8. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    WELCOME TO THE BOC SHELLCAT THANKS FOR ALL YOUR DOING YOU WILL BE IN OUR PRAYERS AND JUST KEEP ON KEEPIN ON AND COME HOME SOON

9. Catmansc2006

Catmansc2006 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Tommy,
    Thats a nice catch of blues. Sure will make some good fish stew. Keep up the good work.

10. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Good to see you again tommy we had a good time even though we only caught 3 a 4#,8#,13# blue. My wife said she wasnt going back until it warms up. Glad she got to go though. Im ready to go back and try them again.

11. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I'm ready too, James, but it will probably be later in the week, at least. I want to try the cats in the lakes, too, if the wind will let me. The water temps are down around 45/46 now so there oughta be some shad dying off.
    It was good to see you again, too. I had hoped to get over to petersfield this week, but the rain we had might have the river rising again for a while; I haven't checked lately.

12. JamisonM

JamisonM New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Tommy, know of any good holes within casting distance of either side of the old split bridge? That's pretty much my main fishing spot, but seems like all I can catch are fish now longer than your hand.

13. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Do you fish from the pier where they have the little shelter? I would think you could fish that area about the same as I was fishing yesterday. You can check with your sinker to see about where the ledge starts dropping off into deep water. The water around the end of the old bridge is ~25' deep or so. I was fishing the upcurrent side of the pilings yesterday, like I said. You will need at least a 6oz pyramid sinker to help keep from drifting too fast. I like for the current to drag the bait from the shallower water into the deep water as it starts beneathe the bridge, but you can just fish the edge of the drop and probably do as well. You want to be almost straight over the side, or up under the bridge, near the pilings. I was using live eels, nightcrawlers, and some frozen herring yesterday, but all the seemed to want was the herring. You might get some fresh shad or mullet if you can find some, too. If you're catching small fish, you may want to upsize your bait to attract bigger fish; something the smaller ones can't swallow easily. What have you been using for bait?

14. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I marked some fish around the old bridge but they were susspended about 15ft in 25ft of water so I figured they were probably rock fish. There was a guy there that morning who had caught quite of few rock fish on the incoming tide on chartruse buck tails. I threw one a few times with no success. Like tommy said make sure you use enough weight to hold think that is where alot of people mess up in the strong current plus it will help you from getting hung up so much. Good luck.

15. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Tommy I cant stand it I am going back down to georgetown on friday to try them out again. Maybe I will get to the waccamaw and sampit bridge.

16. JamisonM

JamisonM New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I've been using mullet almost exusivly along with shrimp. I'll be using shad now that the season's started. What do you think about dropping of a few yards off the pilling using a lip sinker rig with a bobber near the swivel and letting the current take the bait under the bridge?

17. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I think it's worth a try. It seems that the fish would be near that structure. I remember as a kid, fishing on the Pawley's Pier, most folks would cast way out from the pier, but we always fished straight down, or just up under, and caught lots of fish there. Keep in mind that sometimes the fish don't bite until the tide suits them. Just like on saturday, I didn't catch the first fish until the tide was about half out, even though I had fished several of the pilings, as well as other areas. They will be in different places at different conditions, for sure. All we have to do is figure out when and where, and it's a cake walk from there. :cool2: Good Luck with the fishing.

18. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I doubt if I can make it Friday, but I wish you all the luck in the world. Tear 'em up!
    Tide should be low around 10am, forecast is cloudy and upper 40's...:smile2:

19. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Got back in the bay today and caught 12 fish that weighed 165#. The biggest fish was 30# and 28#. Most of the fish were around the 10# mark. We caught 6 of the 12 fish in the first 15 minutes of fishing it was the fastest and best 15 minutes of fishing in my life.

20. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I bet your arm is sore after those bulldogs.Even the little ones fight like crazy down there dont they.I think blues in brakish water would actually give flatheads a run for their money in fightin.Its flatheads all the way in the lake though.