Winyah Bay 12 26/27 08

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Bill in SC, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Well folks, we finally broke out of our slump, due to the gracious sharing of knowledge from Catmaster James Matherly. I guess he felt sorry for us whining about not catchin' anything lately on the Great Pee Dee. :wink: Thanks, James!! :big_smile: Anyhow, we decided to ease down towards the coast at Georgetown to give us better odds of catchin' a big blue. James directed us with precise information, where to catch fish, and bait. We got set up around 4 pm yesterday, catchin' a bounty of fresh live mullet for bait. We then fished hard until 3:30 am. Had three fish on, all of which got the leaders cut by barnacles as we were fishin' too close to the bridge pilings. Results, ZERO fish all night long. It was mighty slow, and I was starting to lose my spirit. Chris cooked up a fine chili, which made me feel better! :big_smile: I finally layed down at 5 am this morning on an air mattress on the back of the truck, out in the open air. Was back up at 7 am when James arrived. We eased back into the bay, and eventually set up on a different bridge from the previous night. Wasn't long before the action was ON! Our first fish, I weighed in at 40 pounds on my messed up scales. We later determined that the fish was 30+, but probably not 40. We caught a pile of fish, including a 36, (PB blue) 22, 20, two 12s and a ten. Chris was using light leader material, and had two NICE fish break his leaders. He finally wised up and put on some heavy stuff! :eek:oooh: The weather was BEAUTIFUL, and we were soon shirtless for the day. I look forward to returning down there to do it again. Here are a few pics of our trip.
    Bill in SC

Attached Files:

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    A few more pics.

Attached Files:

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    After 30+ grogs, UFOs appear! :wink:

Attached Files:

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    One more and I'm done! Thanks again, James, for your kindness "showing us the ropes" in a strange place. BTW: I've never pulled fish from 35 feet of water, and it sure takes a while to get them to surface!
    Bill in SC

Attached Files:

5. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Great job guys! That is an awesome days catch and thanks for the pics.

6. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Completely awesome Bill! Goin' from dressed like eskomo's to no shirt is crazy... almost sounds like the kind of weather we're having in Indiana today... 60+ degrees (crazy ozone hole I guess lol)
    Go get 'em buddy, I love braggin' about ya to my BOC bud's here in Indiana... and they all know that "Bill in SC guy" and are paying attention to SC threads now....

7. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Nice trip Bill!! Man that looks just like Wilmington river fishin right there:big_smile: We've never done any good fishing the bridges here but I may have to try a little more often seeing those catches :wink:

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Those are some great looking fish, congrats on the catch and thanks for all the photos

9. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Congrats Bill and Chris on a great day fishin. It was a pleasure to fish along some fellow Pee Dee Catmasters knocking some big blues down. Again great job I cant wait to do it again.

10. nanny patrol

nanny patrol Member

State:
    SC
    congrats on great trip and thanks for the pics. It makes my day to log on see some big cat photos.

11. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Bill ya been workin your arse off and ya finally got outta the slump.....feels good don't it ( I think, LOL ). Congrats on the fish. Good report...good pic's,,well done !

-Jim-

12. Gaffney Catman

Gaffney Catman New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Nice catch Bill:big_smile:

13. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Congrats Bill on sharing your Winter/Summer fishing trip. Enjoyed the pics. The weather doesn't seem to bother the fish . Proud you had a great trip. Thanks.

14. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Bill, Please.......a shirt! You scaring the kids!!!:eek:oooh:
    Very nice haul there! I should have just drove a little farther south and I would have been with ya. I'm glad the slump is over! When you gonna do it again? Call me!!!

Congrats!!

15. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    You had a pretty good day yourself, didn't you Jon? didn't I hear reports of a 30 and a couple more? :wink:

BB in SC

16. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    ssssshhhhhhh!!!!:cool2:

17. flying_v_64

flying_v_64 New Member

State:
    NC
    Great catch there Bill. Congratulations on landing those brutes! :big_smile:

18. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Bill that cut off bridge that was in one of the pics, is that the bridge that runs beside hwy 17?

19. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    It is, Ronald. A bunch of folks must have seen this thread. I passed through there yesterday on the way upriver, and there were quite a few boats fishing at both bridges. :big_smile:
    I kept going to a couple of deep spots and managed a few nice fish; mostly just loafing around checking out different areas, though.

20. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    Great job man. Thanks for all the pictures!
    Jonathan