Wintertime Trotlining

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by jtrew, Oct 21, 2008.

1. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    As soon as I can get over this flu bug, I'm planning on putting out some trotlines. Back in the 80s, I trotlined a lot, but only from late spring to early fall. So, I'm interested in any information I can get on how wintertime trotlining differs from summertime trotlining. :0a35:

2. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Jerry most times. Its better in the winter time then spring through fall. The fish will be feeding hard all winter. Or they do on Pickwick. Now this is smaller fish. But we had days, when we were fishing for a living. That we would have 800 lbs over night in Jan. And if we have a warm few days the smaller channels and blues will move up on a flat in 5 or 6 ft of water and feed like crazy. Even had times if the water gets up some. WE fish the lines up and down the banks in 6ft or so of water. And they will be loaded.
    Fish deeper holes and stink bait or foam baits. And let her rip.
    Pete

3. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    How do you keep your stink baits on the hook?
    have a good one
    just

4. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    My grandpaw trotlined year round, and caught catfish all winter. He fished lakes in the winter and a bayou durring spring and summer. My dad used to fish the backwater of the Ouachita River durring winter. The cats were smaller but he caught plenty.

5. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    That was some good info Pete, thanks.

6. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Well, In the Summer it is pleasant and warm!!!!

In the winter - you gonna freeze and get another flu Bug!!!:smile2:

Just J/K - but it is COLD when you have to dip them hands in the water! I would rather wait till fall, spring or summer!!!

7. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Thanks for the infro guys I'm not catching any fish but I have been able to fish more this summer and fall than in years and I:cool2: want to stay on a roll in fact i'm going as soon as i get off line

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Thanks for the info. I'm more interested in catching eating size fish (under 10#) than in catching the big ones.

Two areas where I've been thinking of putting some lines are along some riprap very close to the main channel, and in a fairly shallow, wooded cove near deeper water. Both on the Arkansas River.

9. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    Quote me
    How do you keep your stink baits on the hook?
    end quote

I'm serious about this.
    I can't keep any stink bait on a r&r for longer than 15 minutes or so and you are using it on trot lines. Don't know what I'm doin wrong.
    the best 2ya
    just

10. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Looper rigs. Look in the sponsor sections and find them. That's the way to go for stink baits like sonny's and such.

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Looper rigs are a great way to go. If you still have trouble, try mixing in some cattail fuzz.

12. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I had some homemade soap bait this summer that would not stay on the hook very good. I started smearing cotton balls with it, and that worked very well.

Boy that soap bait was nasty, but a lot of cats had soap breath. It worked on my jugs.

13. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Bob, if you are thinking about running a trotline in the winter and want the
    baits to last between the times you run the line, you might try using chunks
    of Ivory hand soap on the hooks. They dissolve really slow and have been
    used in the past with success by people that had to feed a bunch of people
    in the cold months. Another solution I've heard of is cottonseed cakes, but
    I wouldn't know where to find them offhand. Dang. Guess I didn't talk fast
    enough. Or type. Oh, well...

14. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Our stink bait. Now this was 20 years ago.
    But we took small pieces of foam, Like what is on the $1 mops at the dollar store. Cut that into small size's They will swell when they hit the water. We took cheese that is rotten and runny. Thin it down more with heat and a little fish oil. Add a little fish until the cheese gets runny. I mixed up some 2 years ago. And used the cheese bait you can get from wal-mart.
    After getting the cheese heated up on a cooker out side. Throw in the foam. And stir it in well. Let it soak up as much as it will take.
    Put on hook and fish.
    Pete

15. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    I use loopers. I think they are great. I guess I haven't tried them on trot lines though.

Thanks guys

have a good one
    just