Wintertime tips for pond fishing

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by JPritch, Oct 16, 2006.

1. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Great site! I've found alot of helpful info here already.

I frequent a small ~one-acre pond with channel cats. It starts shallow at one end and just gets deeper as you go to the other end. Any tips on how I should be hitting this pond now that the weather is getting colder? Should I fish the deep or shallow end, fish the bottom vs a few feet up? Does the strategy change for night vs day?

Thanks guys!

2. catman849

catman849 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Not exactly sure but this time of year I've been catching fish deeper then usual. Either way I would suggest live bait this time of year.

3. OHFishmanB

OHFishmanB New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I would actually recommend the opposite. I would use small cut bait (shad or bluegill) and troll using a slip bobber about 1 foot off the bottom. If they are there, they will hit.

4. Dogfish

Dogfish Guest

As a matter of fact im fishing in medium sized cement pond tomorow for channels. Is this kind of the same pond you are talking about?

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I would set up a couple poles different ways and at different depths and let the fish "tell me" what they wanted.

6. Dogfish

Dogfish Guest

Im doing exactly wat laidbck111 said. Me and my friend are bring about 5 to six poles and 2 chums and setting them up in different places. We'll see how that works.

7. IfishFORcatfish

IfishFORcatfish New Member

State:
    california
    im dogfish's friend
    we would like all the infor that you can possibly get for us
    thanks for the tips!!!
    IfishFORcatfish+ dogfish

8. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    thats sound advise there.

dogfish's, chum is a definate plus too!

i have also noticed that, in cold water they are real touchy most of the time. i mean dont use a clicker. i have had times at ice out that i had to pull line off the reel and lay it in the grass. they would spit it,if felt funny, even in free spool and no clicker. you need to be ready to hit them before the gig is up. most times in a pond ill use a small bobber at different depths,with very small gills(3in. or smaller) or cutbait.

good luck guys and please share what you learn.

9. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    The cement pond?? Isnt that the Beverly Hillbillies swimmming pool? LOL :lol: :tounge_out:

10. OHFishmanB

OHFishmanB New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio

100% true. They will not hit the bait for very long, so be prepared to set the hook as soon as they hit it. It wouldn't suprise me if you snag a few that way. In the winter I probably snag 20-30% of my fish.

11. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I agree if it is legal in your state put lines everywhere any let them tell you where they are at and what they want. Use different baits when you start the trip off. When you get consistant hits on one bait at a certain depth your set.