Wintertime Flathead Catfish?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by miichael, Aug 28, 2006.

1. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I know most people say flatheads dont bite well in winter time but my question is do they feed on warm days or still at night? I know they have to eat something at sometime in winter or they would die. Also do they move to the deep lake or do they stay up in the cold river in the deeper holes? Just trying to learn more about the flatheads.

2. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Also what about the hot holes where power plants are on lakes? Water temp always stays warm there and the shad are all in there too.

3. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
  4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    First, they really don't have to eat something - and they won't die. Because fish are cold blooded, their metabolism slows way down and they don't need to eat at all, or only very seldom.

In coastal SC I have caught flatheads through early January on cut bait in deep holes. I think they are just laying down there hanging out, but on a warm day if you put the bait right in front of their face, they will eat. I haven't tried live bait for them then, but it should be even better. Don't know exactly, but I'd guess that down to about 45 to 50 degree water temperature, you ought to be able to catch one.

5. bufryda1

bufryda1 New Member

State:
    Erwin, NC
    hey michael, i know you have probally heard that flatheads pretty much shut off til spring after the water temp gets past 50 degrees. but if you can find the right hole with the right bait you can still catch em. I fish the Neuse and Cape Fear rivers and both produce flatheads in the winter. We only seem to catch them from the deepest holes in the river, 30' or so, but dont really count on catching them as good as you would when it is warm. gotta have patience. and any warm water discharge would be a great place to fish anytime. alot of bait will stack up near it and the cats arent far behind them.