wintertime drift fishing when is it to cold?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by biga, Dec 7, 2008.

1. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i just started drift fishing this year and have never tried to drift cold water.. do any of you guys drift in the winter or do you like to anchor when the water gets into the 30s and 40s?

2. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I was told that drift fishing does not work when the water temps drop down. Some people do it around warm water discharges.

3. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    I've heard the same thing about not drifting in cold water. I haven't done any good drifting since the water temps dipped below 50. However, I haven't tried it but once or twice since either.:eek:oooh:

4. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i tried drifting friday and never had a fish look at the bait.. but i was passing over fish laying on the bottom and suspended ..

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Fished the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Water temp was 46. Caught biggest fish drifting but more fish anchored down...W

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I will agree with the other post. If you catch a fish drifting this cold, just consider that you found one extra hungry.

7. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    What speeds are you drifting at?You probably need to slow your drift more in the colder months,usually down here in SC we slow down to .3 to .6 mph in the colder months,up to .8 to 1.0 will catch em but not as quite steady since the fish are not quite as active.Summertime range is .6 to 1.0
    The drift bite is quiet good down here now with water temps from 45 to 48 degrees,good catches being reported from Wylie,Wateree and Murray,in fact a 96lb blue was caught drifting this week on Santees Lake Moultrie.
    I dont think the water temp is so much the problem as maybe speed and presentation,try different sizes on the bait,down to as small as a quarter or try different baits,It can vary from dy to day what they want.

8. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    thats the kind of input im looking for... myself i would think anchored would be the way to fish in this cold water but i am open th suggestions.... i need atleast a 50 pounder soon or i might have to quit catfishin!! :wink:

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Guy's I drift all winter long on the Tn river. And have done great even when the water temp was down to 38 degrees..
    But I do control drift. And going a lot slower then the current. It will and can work all winter long. As if a Big blue is after your bait. Don't think your going to drift fast enough to keep it away from one.
    If the current is 2 MPH I am doing around 1.5 and catch a lot on some trips.
    Pete

10. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC

how do you do a controled drift when your dealing with current?

i know a drift sock works well with the wind but would be ineffective with the current

11. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    I use a trolling motor to slow down the drift. It works really well.

12. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I run my Terrova Trolling motor. Set the auto pilot and fish. Say the current is running at 2.3 MPH. I set the trolling motor to where I can fish. Most times around 1.2 to 1.5 and fish behind the boat. My line is about 45 degrees to in the water. Your bait is being raised and allowing the current to take it back. Pump the rod say 3ft. And that picks the bait up off the bottom. Then set it back down. I use med action IM 7 rods. As I am holding the rod and need a light rod that allows me to feel everything that sinker touches .
    It take a while to get the feel of fishing like this. But when you do. Well lets say its deadly on the blues.
    Pete

13. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    Look at it this way. When drifting your just trying to cover more water, as apposed to anchoring and sitting one spot. Most guys say the slower the better.....if you think ur going too slow, go slower. You just want more fish seeing the bait. Obviously you dont want to fly by them. I go as slow as possible, but cont to move on down river.

14. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Adam,

Jump to the 3:55 on the below video. Another point of view that you may find helpful.

[youtubevid]rIKRqMshA5I[/youtubevid]​

15. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    thanks paul.. that is kind of what i was thinking myself.. that is the reason i started this thread! in the summer more times than not they try to rip the rods out of the boat.. but in the winter[most] not all of the fish i catch tap on the bait more than hammering it.. i even switch to j hooks and rip lips in the winter alot because i feel like i miss to many light hitting fish with the circle hooks!

16. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Its too cold when ice on the lake blocks the boat movement!! :crazy:

Speed is the important factor when drifting in cold water. YOU HAVE TO SLOW WAY DOWN!! If you are getting a speed readout on your GPS you are going too fast!!

The technique is probably more effective on lakes since current is not as big an issue as on rivers.