wintertime bait getting at the lake?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by BigBird, Nov 23, 2008.

1. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    I seem to struggle this time of year rounding up bait at the lakes. I learned catfishing on the river and still am learning reservoir fishing,
    I dont have access to a bait pond here. The threadfin/gizzards and bream seem to be harder to get and I am only picking up a perch or two-So i am asking the experts for all your tips?
    I am headed out tomorrow so I will tryout your suggestions and let you know how they work.
    Thanks,
    Lindsay

2. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I fished on Wylie this morning, and before I left I pulled over to the sunny side bank under some trees and caught 30 bream in a few minutes on red worms. I keep them in a tank at the house. I found shad this morning but they were in deep water. I was only getting 1 or 2 in the net each throw. If I get on the lake before the sun comes up Ill go to where I normally can find shad and throw my net near bright lighted docks.

Good luck....

3. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Bait at this time of the year can be harder to catch than the fish itself. However.....we have had great success just standing at the edge of Lake Barkley and catching skipjacks by the dozens. In the same place we catfish at. They seem to hit after dawn and before sunset the best as the sun warms the shallower waters near the bank.:big_smile:

4. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    What lake are you trying to catch bait on Lindsay?

5. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    I was thinking about going to badin tomorow but not 100 percent sure yet

6. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I know this is probably late now if you went today but at Badin Garr creek is most popular for bait. I went to Lake Hickory Saturday and caught some gizzard shad for my trip to Buggs Island this weekend. The bait was concentrated in balls and was tough to find at first but when I found them I stayed on them pretty easily. I use a ten foot radius 5/8 mesh betts net that sinks pretty fast and thats key right now since most of the bait was 15-20 feet deep.

Shane