WINTERIZING OUTBOARDS

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by catman-j, Oct 7, 2009.

1. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    What needs to be done?

2. catin38

catin38 New Member

State:
    alabama
    if its a carbed engine you do the following:
    first if its stored for a long time (over 3 months) put stabil in the gas. then disconnect the gas line that feeds the carbs and run them dry to get all the gas out. just before all the gas is gone spray a marine winterizing spray into the carbs throats until it dies out. this will lubricate and protect all the crankcase parts. then remove each spark plug and spray cylinders and slowly turn by hand the flywheel to distribute every where..do this on each cylinder and put plugs back. OHH. make for sure all the water is out before storage if you live in a really cold state.. to do this just lower the outboard down and let all the water drain out ..ths is what i do and it works for me..to each his own..

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Get to the front of your carbs by removing silencer-cover.

Hook a hose to your water intake .

Crank and let engine warm-up, with motor running at fast idle;increase speed slightly {be ready for this next step!}.

Disconnect fuel line at engine and spray a couple ounces of Fogging oil into each carb as motor runs out of gas and stalls.

Remove the spark plugs and spray some in each cylinder; turn flywheel by hand a few times.

Change the lower-unit lube and remove prop, grease shaft and all other fitting and lube points.

Spray a little corrosion preventitive on engine and BE SURE to leave your motor in vertical or down position so water won't lay in there and freeze.

Put your battery inside shop and charge it now and then; as long as you're going that way why not put your prop on the shelf by the battery {a good way to still have it come spring}.

I fill my fuel tank and add proper amount of fuel stabilizer to it for the winter.

4. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Thanks for the post..... I just dont quite using it here in Calif.:wink:

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Bubba, I have always believed that by running the motor until the engine dies does NOT get all the gas out of the carb. bowls. Should a person also remove the screw from the bottom of the carb bowl and drain the remaining fuel? Seems like it would still have tendency to form lacquer if not drained.

Think if you check your local craigslist, you'll find people willing to winterize your motor for about fifty bucks... but you won't find them next spring if your engine is frozen or the blocks split. Think its just better to do it your self. My boats generally don't set up for a 3 month period, maybe 5 or 6 weeks. But there is always one or two days warm enough to fish, if you want to.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Lawrence I always drain my carbs as you speak of just for piece of mind. That is the only time you will catch me removing the fuel line intentionally to run it out of fuel and I am steadily spraying fogging oil into the carb throat to oil the inerards as I do it. Yes I would stay away from those non certified winterizer fly by nights.

7. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Thanks for askin Jeff... some good useful info was replied. I needed to know too :cool2:

8. Longjohn119

Longjohn119 Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    It's 30 degrees at 6 AM here in eastern Iowa

Just keep rubbing it in :smile2:

9. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    L, I've heard that running a two stroke dry is bad news. I've also heard that you never get all the fuel out without dissembly also. I just seafoam and forget and it's working great. I've taken My stuff apart and it's all shiney and nice. It sits a lot longer than 6 weeks!

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I winterize mine by fishin' all winter!! LOL! Mine runs at least once a week, 52 weeks a year!

<It's 30 degrees at 6 AM here in eastern Iowa>

30 degrees is pretty comfortable fishin' weather.

Bill in SC

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  11. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    THANKS Bubba and everyone for replying. I'll keep mine indoors all winter most likely. I bought a can of fogging oil, stabil and I have a little sea foam left. Maybe some time this winter I will do the lower end or have it done. It was done 2 summers ago when I had the prop shaft seal replaced. I write on the inside of the engine cover what spark plugs it takes with a magic marker (ngk and champion) as well as the part number for the float since mine has gone bad before.

12. catfishken

catfishken Member

State:
    Streator, Illin
    do you even know what 30 degrees feels like being from s.c lol

13. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    I DRAIN THE FUEL LINE FROM THE TANK TO THE ENGINE, THEN I DRAIN THE CARB BOWL. THEN SPRAY FOG OIL IN THE CLYINDERS. I HOOK UP TRICKLE CHARGERS TO ALL BATTERYS. GREASE WHEEL BEARINGS, AND ALL OTHER MOVEING PARTS,SHIFT CABLES,STEERING CABLES IF YOU HAVE A STERRING WHEEL. IF NOT GREASE THE SHAFT THAT THE ENGINE TURNS ON. DRAIN FULE TANK IF POSSIBAL OR ADD STABIL TO TANK. LOOK FOR ANY BROKEN SPRING LEAFS OR WIRES HANGING DOWN UNDERSIDE OF THE TRAILAR.

BE PREPAIRED:wink:

14. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    Move to south ga and fish year round!:smile2: