Winterizing My Lake House

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by nathan8372, Nov 6, 2006.

1. nathan8372

nathan8372 New Member

State:
    South Texas
    Hey guys,

Well it's that time of year again, 'here come the cold fronts'!

This time of year I like to go out and take up all my trot lines. It's better to take them up so the water doesn't ruin them over the winter while I am not using them. I may go out every now and then and throw a line out but hunting will be my primary focus till January.

I will be over on the hunting section, maybe back over here.

~Nathan

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I think your fellow fishermen would appreciate it if you'd take up your trotlines each time you're done using them, not just at the end of the season.

An abandoned trotline is essentially just litter. And if it doesn't have bait on it, I'd consider it abandoned.

3. jga

jga New Member

State:
    missouri
    In my state, a line has to be checked every 24hrs. It doesn't have to be removed, but you must rebait or remove the line. Boaters and skiers would also probably appreciate you removing your lines, unless it is your private lake. If thats the case, do what you want.

4. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I will give a third on the motion to remove your lines when not in attendance. I use trots alot, but I do not abandon them. It ain't hard to roll them up, and you can't blame someone else for removing them. Especially a game warden.

5. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Oh yeah, not to be picky, what does this thread have to do with "winterizing my lake house"?

6. nathan8372

nathan8372 New Member

State:
    South Texas
    ..winterizing.....ahhh yes the least favorite thing to do.

Taking up the trot lines are a part of closing up shop for the winter.

7. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Coastal fisheries tech? Are you a commercial fisherman? Yeah, I hate winterizing too. Had to pull up all those gill nets yesterday. Did I just say that? Just joshing around.

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Some of the best fun I had when I was younger was crab potting and gill netting. Nothing like a nice get together for a few grown men and a few kids to run nets and reap the rewards. When you only have the occasional weekend to spend at the coast and you are there for meat its hard to beat a net.

Commercial fishing has its place. Atleast it does in NC.
    Its how ALOT of coastal residents make a living in the fall and winter on a much smaller scale then the trawlers that also have their place as well.

There have been violent incidents and many threatening incidents between commercial and sportfishermen in NC over the years and its senseless. Our saltwater fisheries epsecially big game and red drum are some of the best in the world even with the nets and trawlers.
    There is room for all of us.

9. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    Hey Nathan, I know what you mean. I have a fish camp too but i fish in the winter also. I like to fish in the winter because everybody else is deer hunting.

Keep on Trot Linin:wink:

10. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    I know what you mean. I guess I'm not used to all that kind of activity as I live smack in the center of the US. No room around here for that kind of stuff. I know that commercial fishing is important. I'm a butcher. I deal in commercially caught fish all day. I have no qualms with that at all. We all need jobs and $$.

11. nathan8372

nathan8372 New Member

State:
    South Texas
    ...to answer your question a 'coastal fisheries tech' works for the State gathering samples of sediment, water and aquatic life in various areas of the coast. I am not a commerical fisherman although shrimping is an occupation that is widespread down here.

In fact, our bay is so important to the economy of this area that they state actually lets water out of our fresh water lake to compensate for the high salinity levels in the bay. (run on sentence..lol) Thus naturalizing the bay's salt levels so the shrimp and other aquatic life can thrive.

This is good for commerical salt-water fishermen and bad for those that have lake-front property. We are in drought condition down here in South Texas and the water they let flow into the bay literally drains the lake and river (where my lake house is) causing a max river depth of 13 feet, not 23 like it should be. I find it disappointing.