Winterizing boat

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by catfisher43, Oct 2, 2006.

1. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    does everyone run the fuel out of there boat motors the last time out for the winter.thanks in advance.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That is not a recommend practice to do.

Will cause damage to the motor.

3. 710split

710split New Member

State:
    iowa
    I sure wish you would elaborate on the hows and whys of running the gas out for the winter will damage the motor. I've done it on my 40 HP motors for years and didn't notice any damage. Now I have a new 4-stroke 90 HP and like to evaluate what to do for it for its first winter. It is not made to run the gas out. Instead, there is some kind of reservoir to drain.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Dan I can't help you on the four strokes but on a 40 h/p when you try to run it out of fuel then one carb get dry before the second one does and that cylinder is running with out any lubercation of any kind so it will cause premeture wear on that cylinder.

I am not telling you guys not to run your motors out of fuel because it is your engine to do with as you see fit. I will not do it to one of mine, even a single carb one I won't. There is a post right below this one that goes into detail on how to winterize your motor.

Bobpaul added some real good info in it to.

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    That reservior your talking about is called a vapor seporater.

It has a float, needle and seat like a carb. It also has a high pressure fuel pump in it.

I got a 115 for stroke running this summer that had set up for a couple yrs. Nothing worked that held gas.

I was able to get the high pressure fuel pump operational again and the injecteors doing what they do too.

When I get the specifics on winterizing them, I'll post it in the other thread.

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Another potential area of damage when running the fuel out is lots of folks pull out of the water then run the last of the fuel out sitting on the trailer.It only takes a few seconds of running an outboard without any cooling water to cook a cylinder (Or two) and damage the water pump.If your fuel has a good stabilizer in it I would rather have it sit in the carbs than have them dry.Just my opinion:smile2:

7. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thanks for the information.