Winterizing An Outboard

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by ike whitson, Nov 30, 2006.

1. ike whitson

ike whitson New Member

State:
    ariz/northwest
    Has anybody winterized there boat and outboard for tempatures below zero? I just left Phx.Ariz. and am now in Reno Nevada for the winter and I could use any of you guy's wisdom on winterizing the rig.:0a35: :0a35: :0a35

Thanks
    Ike

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Outboards don't hold water if left in the trim down position.

What engine do you have?

3. ike whitson

ike whitson New Member

State:
    ariz/northwest
    I should have mentioned that, It's 115 mercury optimax. It hasn't been in the water for at least 3 week's

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    There might be something particular to that engine that needs to be done a certain way, such ass fogging the engine.

I would think with those, you'd use a fogging oil directly into the cyl's through the plug holes. Your owners manual might help you there.

You would definately need to use a fuel stabilizer adding extra for storage and run it a while to get the stabilized fuel into your vapor seporater.

Changing the lower unit oil is a must and checking the prop shaft for fishing line then lube the shaft before putting back the prop.

Charge and remove your battery in severely cold temps. Store it where you can monitor it's charge and keep it charged up through out the winter.

Don't forget to check your trailer wheel bearings. If your using bearing buddies, purge some fresh grease into them. Then air up the tires.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Gosh, your probably okay in the part of the country your in now. If your in this south-central part of the country and haven't winterized your motor, you may be a day late and a dollar short. Been below 20 since noon here, and we are under a blizzard warning. I am sure glad I practiced shivering Monday and Tuesday so I was ready for this stuff.... LOL

6. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    winterizing :lol: thats something you do when you quit fishing for the year right , i aint ever quiting quiters quit cause thats what they do :lol:

as long as the waters out of the moter atleast it wont freeze up

7. mperry

mperry Member

State:
    Indiana
    This is also my first year with an Optimax and I was told not to fog the engine. You should use Optimax oil directly into the cylinders. I will try to find the link that tells all about it. I think it was 2cc's in each cylinder then run the engine or turn the prop by hand to distribute the oil. Also change lower unit oil and grease the prop shaft use sta-bil in the gas, top off the oil reservoirs so no moisture can form and you should be ready to go. Again I will try to find the detailed instructions and post later.

8. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    None of the high-tech model outboards that have an oxygen sensors should get fogged through the fuel system. They usually call for it to be oiled down through the plug holes.

9. ike whitson

ike whitson New Member

State:
    ariz/northwest
    Bob, Thanks a lot for the info I'll be doing that this weekend. I had already put stable in the fuel but I'll need to run the motor to purge the lines and the vapor separator. Thanks again. And best wishes to you and yours for the holidays

10. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Hi Ike,
    * Hope your travels are going well, and you get to put that boat in the water real soon. Take care, bro!
    * Happy holidays to you and yours!
    Andy~