Winterizing a motor?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Broke Tip Fishing, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Broke Tip Fishing

Broke Tip Fishing New Member

State:
    Tennessee/ Nashville
    What is the best way to winterize a 1984 90hp Johnson motor? I'm new to boating and i need to know the best way without spending a fortune

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Do you have a VRO fuel pump on it?

3. rocket256

rocket256 Well-Known Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Name:
    McGill
    I have a 2007 bass tracker with a 90hp optimax. But I just put my boat up for the winter. I just put some stabil in the tank, let the trim all the way down so no water will freeze in the prop.

4. huntduck

huntduck New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Just fish year round,and there is no need to "winterize".If not willing to fish in the cold,put some Sta-bill in the tank and follow directions.Make sure to drain your foot on your motor,and wrap it to block wind if not in a shed.

5. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    I have a 4-stroke and followed the owners manual, change oil and filter, add sta-bil, or some fuel stabilizer to fuel system, of course does no good unless you run it through the motor, and changed the lower unit oil. Flushed the cooling system with tap water and then just greased all the fittings on the lift and pivot points.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    The basics have been covered here many times, but here's a recap:

• If you don't have a Maintenance Manual for your engine, that's the first thing you need to buy. Look for Seloc or Clymer brand.
    • Change your lower unit oil according to the instructions in your owner's manual.
    • Add fuel stabilizer (Sta-Bil, PRI-G, etc. ) to your tank and RUN YOUR ENGINE long enough to ensure the stabilizer-treated fuel gets into the engine.
    • If your owner's manual or maintenance manual calls for it, you need to fog the intake and/or cylinders. Go to your nearest marine parts dealer and buy a can of "Engine Fogging Spray" and follow the directions in your manual.
    • Make sure your engine is completely drained of water, tilt all the way down so all water drains out.
    • Lubricate all grease fittings on the engine

7. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Besides stabe and oil change in lower unit I spray 'Fog' in my cyl. it helps the rings from sticking. I also charge the batteries and put them inside. I will trickle charge them 2 or 3 times in the winter. This will keep a charge in them and so they don't freeze and bust.
    Bill