winterization types

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by John Jennings, Dec 3, 2008.

1. John Jennings

John Jennings New Member

State:
    kentucky
    If I am not planning on winterizing my boat what are some good tips to keep my motor and boat in good shape for the spring?

2. illinois_angler

illinois_angler Member

State:
    IL
    It might be helpful to list the type of and hp outboard you have.

3. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    Make sure water drains out of the lower unit when you leave the lake. Check the oil in the lower unit and make sure that there is not water mixed in with it, if there is, drain it and refill with proper gear oil. Fuel Stabilizer.. or drain the carbs. If you're not going to use the boat this winter, I would remove the spark plugs and squirt a little oil into the cylinders and then put the spark plugs back in. Put a good coating of armor oil on your seats to keep them from drying out during the winter. take out the battery and store it inside and maintain the charge with a trickle charger. Might even remove and store electronics. Put a tarp over boat and motor to keep incliment weather out.

just a couple of my suggestions... :0a26:

4. John Jennings

John Jennings New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I plan on using it periodicly, but I am concerned about freezing temps between trips. I have a 90hp OptiMax on my pro guide V17. I lower the motor to an almost vertical position while still on the slope of the ramp to drain the water. Is there anything else I should do other than I also keep the motor as covered as possible.

5. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    I would make sure there's no water in the fuel and no water mixed in with the lower unit oil

6. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Keep the motor lowered to drain the water, make sure no water is in the lower unit, put some stabilizer in the fuel. If you're going to use it periodically, depending on what that means to you, you may not need to fog the cylinders. Make sure the you pull the plug, water freezing in the back of the boat gets heavy quick.

7. John Jennings

John Jennings New Member

State:
    kentucky
    after I put stabilizer in the fuel can I still run the engine, and what advantage is there to fog oil?

8. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    you are getting to many mixed answers here!!
    1! keep fuel tank topped off after every trip fill back up on the way home to keep out the condensation !
    2! if its going to be more than a month between trips use stabil or seafoam. [you can run it with stabil or seafoam it wont hurt anything..]
    3! before leaving the ramp tilt engine down to drain the water out of the powerhead and prop.
    4! either store it with the engine tilted down of keep a cover on the prop so the exhaust ports it the lower unit dont get full of water and freeze.
    5! be sure to pull the plug to drain the boat
    6! replace lower unit oil and to sure there is no water in it.. if there is water in it have it repaired before it gets worse!
    7! be sure to grease your bearing buddys on you hubs and hit the grease fittings on the engine while you have the gun out!

i run my boat all winter long and these are the things i do to be sure i am ready for the next trip! as for the fogging oil .. u dont need it!! that is for long term storage not a few weeks at a time....

9. John Jennings

John Jennings New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Great info I appreciate it!! I have been doing most of those things but wasn't sure if that was enough. This is my first boat and trying to make sure I dont mess anything up! Thanks to all of you who replied!!!!:big_smile: