Wintering Flathead

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by stlcatman, Feb 28, 2008.

1. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
  2. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    that is a lot of fish.

3. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I wonder if they all decide to start feeding again at around the same time or if it happens on more of an individual basis.

You sure could have a good time when they do decide to start moving around and eating.

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I started watchign and I was thinking, "that po boy, he doesn' teven know the difference between a flathead and a channel cat..." Guess I waas wrong about that!

That's some real neat footage. Thanks for sharing!

5. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    That's just what it looks like inside one of them circle nets setting over there in the river about now :sad2:

Yea you should get ya one of them camera's Ryan! Just what you need to get, lets see, I'll swap ya mine for say $100 bill?

6. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    I don't know about the flatties but those blues shure looked like they were on the hunt. That one sure did look like (dare I say it) a DANDY!:smile2:

7. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Randy does it have as good of a picture as that one. I am sure that the water around here is a little dirtier than that, does it work in oh lets say the Mississippi? Is it in color or black and white?

8. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yea it would be rough in dirty water as any would be, but it is fun on the lake and even the back water on the river when it has settled down at times. BW monitor on mine, It is fun to mess around with, I can tell ya it sure will let a person understand how the finders show different things, when you can compare what your finder screen is showing to an actual pic. :wink: Would be killer up on that Wallleye water up north.....

9. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    That video was shot in pool 4 of the Mississippi.

I was wondering if they shot it through a hole in the ice or what because that image was not bouncing up and down at all like it would from a boat. And they held their position perfectly.

This guy has another one out of walleyes and it was really cool when the light hit their eyes. You could see their eyes glowing all over the place. Thanks for that video it was awesome.

Couple of years back was fooling around with making one of my own. Already have a miniature ccd camera and a portable LCD display. I could do it cheap enough just for something to play around with. Wouldn't be much good in the current though.

Thanks for the AWESOME LINK!

10. RAPTOR

RAPTOR New Member

State:
    IOWA
    If that video was shot in pool #4 of the Mississippi .I do not think that there were any Blues in it. According to the Ia. DNR blues are not that far north in the Mississippi....

11. BriankatCatfish1

BriankatCatfish1 New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Hi guys,

I followed a link from my youtube video to here....that was last Friday..then I got lost in the forums reading. Just a ton of info here!

I thought I would share a bit more info on that video.

It was taken with the new Marcum 825c. I tried using my old camera last year, a b&w Marcum 500. No dice. It was in 26 feet of water on the 'sippi, below Redwing, MN. The b&w camera would show the fish, but the video was just to dark.

The winter water up here cleans up pretty good, then the melting starts and once the water starts rising and the river starts cleaning itself, it's a mess. Between the slit, trees and flow a camera is pretty much useless.
    Otherwise there would be a video of a flathead having a bullhead for supper come May. lol!

More than the above poster questioned my cat Iding abilities! At the start of the video there was a pretty nice school of small channels, that made the title a bit deceiving. But it was the Mighty Flathead that's the true star in the clips.

Some of the shots were taken while drifting. The ones that were stationary were taken after adjusting the anchor so the boat was right above them. One of the things the camera didn't pick up was how many were there. I could only get so many in a shot. There were hundereds if not thousands of cats laying in that area.

My goal is to (hopefully) ask the MN/WI Dnr's to close the season for over the winter months for flatheads. Commercial netting and to some extent illegal snagging is not helping this Trophy fishery. We see numbers of 40 pound fish every year, a few less 50 lbs fish and a few...very few in the sixties. I think with just a bit of tweeking of the rules, we could have a better flathead fishery than we do now.

I'm not against harvest...I'm for selective harvest as with any fish.

Sorry for the opinionated first post...I don't generally go on a rant like this.:big_smile:

Attached Files:

12. BriankatCatfish1

State:
    Minnesota
    Hmm...Hope the pictures turned out well...8 more posts to go for me! :big_smile:

13. BriankatCatfish1

State:
    Minnesota
    You are so right Raptor. Every year someone tells me they caught a Blue...and I tell them they should have taken it to the DNR as it would have been a state record!

In the '70's the MN DNR "planted" some Blues at the confluence of the St. Croix and Mississippi...and they were never heard from again.:sad2:

(The Blues...not the DNR.:wink:

14. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Welcome aboard Brian! Start posting away and you'll be up to ten in no time.

Thanks for the added info on your video it's really cool to see all those
    flatheads holed up like that!

15. BriankatCatfish1

State:
    Minnesota
    Posting?? I have a couple months of READing to do!:eek:oooh:

16. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Welcome aboard Brian.... Reply back you'll have 5 posts!!! :big_smile:

17. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Brian that is a great video, I hope your quest to get some regs in place to protect these fish meet with success. We are trying to get some here in place for the same reasons.

As far as the blues go, I will have to watch it again but I thought I definately saw a few blues in that hole. Are you guys saying that there aren't any up there and those are channel cats or did I mis-understand. I saw a big school of channel cats but I could have swore that I saw some nice blues as well. Thanks again for the video, I look forward to seeing more of them.

18. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

Ahem............. Ryan, we'll just overlook your little fish misidentification incident!:smile2::smile2::smile2::wink:

It's no big deal really, nobody would gig you for something like that. You won't even notice the humiliation after a while, right guys?:wink::eek:oooh:

19. BriankatCatfish1

State:
    Minnesota
    Not a single Blue to be had in MN...but I'm a guy that never says never!

I'll rephrase that, never a documented Blue in MN since the Corp of Engineers put in the Lock and Dams. I would have to do some hunting for the article, but I think the were here before that..if I recall correctly.

If there was a blue in there...I'm going to have to burn a dvd and head down to the DNR office in the morning!

Wonder if catching a Blue on video would qualify me for anything?

20. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Really, than those were some monster channel cats without any channel cat markings and an anal fin that looks like a blue cats anal fin. I mean I could be wrong but those big fish suspended sure look like blues to me.