winter wear

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by slikk03, Dec 13, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    see im a skiiny guy that was once 250 now im 150,i dont take cold well,you get below 30 i just cant take it i get paralized i cant feel my hands or feet,ive used long underwear 3 pairs of jeans 3 flannel jackets gloves a wig and a good stokin cap,,, can their be a better way to stay warm,thats why i dont like to deer hunt alot,,, yea i know im a wimp wen it comes to the cold

2. head hunter

head hunter New Member

State:
    ohio

3. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    get yourself some under armor, the stuff is great, another thing is if you over dress you will sweat, sweating is a bad thing when it's cold, try this for starters, get a set of wicking socks and warm socks, boots, one pair of jeans and long john's, for a shirt a turtle neck and flannel shirt. this should keep you toasty, keeping you head warm is key we lose a lot of heat from the tops of our head. a good hat will do the job, once again if you sweat you will get cold, so dress in layers, when you are working hard remove some to keep cool and have a cool down period before you put back on what you take off, also keep a extra pair of socks handy, wet feet will alway make you cold, your feet sweat more than you think. I change my socks at lunch every day since I have been working out side with my new job, hope this works. Jeff

4. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I layer up, with different things,, but, when It's really cold,, I use some older long johns called duo-fold.. heavy weight,, and for my legs, Heavyweight wool pants,,
    upper body, the duo-fold, then one of my normal cotton shirts,,I gotta have my pockets!!'
    Then a Pendleton wool shirt, Fleece lined jean type jacket, usually, then maybe a hooded sweatshirt..
    Then, I'll slip into my insulated coveralls, sized to fit all that..
    Then ,, on the bank, or boat,, I'll have a nice wool blanket to keep over me.
    If it's windy, that's when it can be at it's worst.. and anything to help keep the wind out, will make a huge difference.
    I also, have thinsulate lined wool gloves, that are the best I've found at keeping my hands warm.
    I've also been known to slip into a sleeping bag rated for 0, with all that on!!!

Like you, I can't stand the cold!!!:wink:

5. carolinakid76

carolinakid76 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    for me, #1good boots#2 long johns#3 coveralls#4good gloves#5ski mask:big_smile:

6. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    my old prison suit coverals just dont do the job in december,thats my october suit,by the end of sep im looking like a con that broke out of the pen,i will be shure to get more longjohns, and i sweat alot even wen im cold that might be the reoson i get so cold,my setup has been thin layers i put on a longjohn shirt then 3 thin flannels and 3 heavy flannel jackets 3 pairs of wool socks a wig 3 jeans and im still going numb,its the sweat its freezing me,the wigs are warm ,next winter i wont need tht wig i will have long hair and a zz top beard

7. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Whats the wig for Slikk?:008:
    How do you fit all them clothes on?:smile2: I keep picturing the kid on A Christmas Story that couldnt move his arms cause him mom had him in too many clothes.:tounge_out:
    You need a base layer, or a wicking layer, to pull moisture off of your body and transfer it to your outter layers. Then I just put small layers on top of that, ending in a waterproof/windproof outer layer.
    Wool socks with some good boots go a long way. Make sure to pack some extras just in case.:wink:
    Something to cover your neck and face, and a good pair of goves too. Possibly some hand/feet warmers. I dont really care for them.
    One of these dont hurt either.:cool2:

Attached Files:

8. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I generally put on a thin pair of polypropelene socks, then heavier socks. I use insulated boots if its cold, and then put on some rubbers. I wear some thermal long johns, and jeans. On top I got a polypropelene long sleve t-shirt, long sleve sweatshit, heavy shirt, fleece jacket, hooded sweatshirt, then put on a hat, type depending on how cold it is. If its cold, like less than 20 degrees, I put on my insulated carhart bib overalls and coat. Couple years ago I got a thing like a skull cap to put on under my hard hat. Its difficult if I'm goin to be outside for awhile at -25, then inside at 90 deg. Main thing is staying out of the wind, and thats what the overalls are for. I wear insulated gloves in the winter, and plain leather in summer. It ain't no fun if a guy is cold.

9. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing Well-Known Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    I'm with you on being cold after a big weight loss. 185 lbs down to 139 lbs. I posted this before but it has helped me out allot.

I've worked the last few years out doors all winter long and even drove a snow truck w/out heat. Got to love the city I live in. Don't fix nothing if they can get away with it. I did throw in the towel and no longer work for them cause of things like this. But I do have what I believe is a good cold weather gear. Prior to working for the city I worked in an underground freezer and was good for up to 8 hours at -40 F. Now that was cold!
    I believe in layers and always started with Under Armour. It pulls all moister away from your skin and I wore it from head to toe. Not cheap but very durable. After that I'd put on a thin layer of cotton followed by Flannel or fleece. Got to love fleece lined jeans, Flannel lined is good but fleece is better. Regular johns help allot but never held up more than a season for me. My Under Armour has held up for going on 4+ years now and still hanging in there.
    Most the winter the last few years I wore my hoodie and a down vest and was just fine. I can't tell you the number of people who asked me wtf was wrong with me and I would just grin at them and say cold, its not that cold.
    I do believe in gortex and just love the stuff. Helps keep the moister and wind off of you and thats a major plus!

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have yet to buy anything that will keep me warm,Maybe cause I cant see spending alot of money on things like that,I wear reg longhandles in its really cold (under 20*) jeans ,and walls insulated bibs and jacket. The thin gloce liners that you can get for .99 c a pr hepl as long as they stay dry. If its wet,I dont deal with it. I stay home.

11. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    thanks you guys might of saved me from frost bite or hypothermia lol,i just go nomatter what untill im paralized then i leave, but ive oly be lasting 5 hours,soon 3 ,if i dont get the right gear

12. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i usually layer up with longjohns, pants and coveralls. i don't think i'd wanna be fishin along the river at nite wearin a wig :eek:oooh:

13. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    the wig is very warm ,it wont cuase no problems,most folks dont mess with me,i always have a plan if a few big boys come down and want to fight over a wig,ive fished around gangbangers and all them, they stay away from me i freak them out,i usaly got knives bats ect, but last time i was threatend i got my sling blade out and handed it to the crazy guy and gave him istructions on how to kill me,it freaked him out lol and he ran off,ive been known to pull crazy stunts on them kind of folks,im just lucky they dont say much or id be dead or theyd be dead lol,,,i get along well with 95 percent of the guys out fishing at night,wig or no wig, we usaly end up fishing together and drinking a few beers:big_smile: