Winter Warm Up's = Good Fishing?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by JPritch, Dec 22, 2008.

1. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I was planning on going fishing this Wednesday, then again on Saturday and Sunday. Well just so happens the forecast for these days is upper 60 degree temps with overnight lows in the 50's! To contrast, today is 25 degrees, overnight lows in the teens.

So my thinking is I can fish any number of the shallow bays/pits we have here on the river and slay the fish and that the fishing will be of EPIC proportions!.........Or will it?

I've never fished a warmup like this and would love to hear what you all have to say about the fishing. Opinions, advice, strategies are all welcome.

Thanks guys!

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I'll bet your water temps are in the 40's up there, because ours are in the low 50's down here further south. So, your bait is probably deep in more stable water temps, and I will bet your cats are under them.

One day will probably not raise the temps that much, so I would try to fish a place with access to deep water. You may want to consider some bobber or slip float rigs to suspend your baits. The warm snap may raise surface temps enough that the bait could move shallower in the water column during the day, especially late in the afternoon or if you have some clouds.

3. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Good post! I was wondering the same thing. Around here the one constant is that you never know when they'll get hungry. But you certainly won't catch em if your hook ain't in the water. Wish I could offer more but if I did it would only be free entertainment. Good Luck!

4. jdward

jdward New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    I was thinking the same thing as dieter. The plus to fishing a good warmup is that you don't have to worry about freezin your butt off when you are chasin after those bigguns! Good Luck!

5. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Well the weather heated up to 72 today so I decided to go to my favorite spot. Unfortunately did'nt get a bite. can't say much for the "warm up bite" but it sure was nice trying anyway.

6. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have found the when the weather starts to swing from freezing to 80* and back over and over it really messes up the fish. I know that when the wind blows 20 to 30 out of the north one day and out of the south the next it dont help either. I will be on the water tomorrow if the storms allow it but i dont let the wind or temp stop me. I'll prefer 40* and a light north wind in the winter, it really pushes the blues to the mouth of the bay and they are easy pickens down there. But with work, family, and all the other things in life i'll be on the water every chance I get!! lol

7. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    In my experiences it seems one-two day winter warm ups are usually associated with strong fronts/heavy winds. I follow the winds and current to locate the baitfish balls on the depth finder, when you find em. See where the cat are in relation(bottom, suspended). I let the wind/current carry the bait to the marked area and try to stay a couple feet above the cat.

8. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    At least it warmed up so U all can fish.Can't even do that here.All the waters are froze over:sad2:Far as river where I live the boat ramps are even froze and I ain't walkin out on no ice on the Mississippi.:roll_eyes:so guess I'll just have to keep on being bored till Spring anyway. or at least Feb most likely.