Winter Walleye

Discussion in 'Walleye Fishing' started by slowjamcdub, Dec 29, 2008.

1. slowjamcdub

slowjamcdub New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Hey guys! Just Want to know is winter (like right now) a good time to fish for walleye??? and what about muskie??? and if so what bait???
    THANKS!!! :wink:

2. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I do most of my walleye fishing starting in the fall and right on through till they spawn in early spring. I like bucktail jigs tipped with minnows or crankbaits run real slow across the bottom.

3. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    Walleye will definitely hit in the winter. Two different approaches are to either ice fish for them or to hit the tailwaters of dams on rivers.

When the weather gets cold, many people stick with live bait and specifically minnows. Myself, I've done better as winter wears on-- walleye start prestageing for spawning in feb and march and I intend to heavily fish that.:cool2:

I hear so many different things about musky, I don't know what to believe, but I suspect that musky are RELATIVELY inactive in winter. anyway, they are too hard to catch for me.:smile2:

4. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    Jay do you just fish tailwaters or can you pull walleye out of other spots in the winter, too? Ever catch big trout using that technique? and lastly, is a Tipped bucktail jig better than a Tipped plain jig (I've seen a lot of people use just plain jigheads tipped)?

I did very good on walleye in the late spring, but the winter bite has always been real hit and miss for me and there's lot I'd like to learn.

5. PaCatfishHunter

PaCatfishHunter New Member

State:
    Greensburg, PA
    This is a good post. I am not an expert when it comes to Walleye fishing but this is how I do it and has worked for me also

6. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Around here on the Mon I always fish the tailwaters below a lock. 9 times out of ten I'm throwing a bucktail either plain or tipped. Black and olive are my favorite colors. I rarely use just a minnow, I guess i like to fool them with the artificials mostly.
    When I fish the west branch susq. river in the winter I like to fish the winter and early spring targeting water that is 6-10 ft. deep. Some of the best spots seem to be with a gravel or sandy bottom with scattered rocks about the size of a grapefruit here and there. Even caught a small musky dragging a bucktail a few years back.
    Never did catch any trout probably because the Mon doesn't have any and the West branch only has a few.
    You probably got walleye where your at like the skuke's got flats. lol

7. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    As far as crankbaits go a cotton cordell big-o in perch pattern 6-8 ft. running depth is my favorite, or a bomber model a

8. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    We do alot of winter walleye fishing out here. I've been out a couple times this winter. We hit them through the ice. A jigging spoon tends to be my favorite. There are alot of options for that. Gotta kinda find the pattern with the spoons. If you plan on doing alot of ice fishing get a vexilar, it would at least triple your catch. If you need any more help or pointers on catching them through the ice let me know, i'll add any input I can!

9. slowjamcdub

slowjamcdub New Member

State:
    kentucky