winter use?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by holmesridge, Oct 20, 2005.

1. holmesridge

holmesridge New Member

I would like to use my boat this winter. what steps do i need to follow, to prevent damage. Can I avoid indoor storage of my boat.

2. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    i use my boat year round here in misipy......... the one thing i do dirrerent in the winter is ....... let the engine all the way down once u get home......that lets the lower drain and prevents freezing and busting........

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I use my boat year round down he in Va,NC,and SC.Even though I use it, during Dec I still do the recommended winter maintenance ie new plugs,drain lower unit oil,new fuel water separating filter,new waterpump kit,fuel stabilizer year round.I try and run the fuel tank down as low as possible on one trip so I can refuel with fresh fuel.Every other year after I run it down I take it to the dealer and have them suction the remaining fuel out along with whatever "Stuff" that has accumulated.Then new fuel and stabilizer,Pull prop grease splines and check for fishing line,touch up any missing paint on the skeg.check trim and tilt fluid,check trim tab reservoir level and function the trim and tilt plus trim tabs every two weeks during really cold weather.Turn steering wheel frequently through it entire range and check power steering fluid.Function test all switches and pumps frequently.You will be amazed how long and well your engine will function with this intensive care.I have an on board battery charger so my batteries are always hot and I replace them every 2 years.