Winter Trotline

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by DOUBLEL, Oct 20, 2009.

1. DOUBLEL

DOUBLEL New Member

State:
    KANSAS CITY KS
    I have always ran lines when the tempeture was decent. Put one in a few weeks ago for 1 night caught 5 fish 2 flats 25 lb 2 blue 5-8 lb area and 1 5 lb flat. I did not pull the line still had about half my bait on it and checked it the next day had 1 20 lb flat 1 15lb blue and a smaller channel. Then I rebaited it and a cold front came threw. Next day I had bait perch on every hook. I changed some bait used some cut bait on 5-8 hooks and came up blank again. I have never run lines in the winter and wondered if anyone does it? If so do you move to deeper holes in the winter. I usually put lines in shallow water 5-8 foot and would also run as deep as 15 foot in this same area. Does anyone have any ideas. In the past I would just put my boat up for the winter. Might try fishing this year.

2. mactheaxe

mactheaxe New Member

State:
    cartersville, georgia
    i had a similar experience with mine. i was catchin consistently about a week or so ago, now i think im just feedin the crawfish. i went ahead and pulled my line today. i think a trotline would work great in the winter due to patience with the slower metabolism, but i think it would only work in the deep parts of the lake. oddly enough my line was in 1 1/2ft of water and i was pullin em in consistently. if you do, try in 20 ft of water.

3. DOUBLEL

DOUBLEL New Member

State:
    KANSAS CITY KS
    I will try again this weekend I knew the flats would slow down but the blues stopped as well. I will post results on this thread.

Attached Files:

4. DOUBLEL

DOUBLEL New Member

State:
    KANSAS CITY KS
    A few of the fish I caught

5. DOUBLEL

DOUBLEL New Member

State:
    KANSAS CITY KS
    Everbody give up on fishing for the winter

6. mactheaxe

mactheaxe New Member

State:
    cartersville, georgia
    im still tryin it, not as hardcore as a month ago, but here in a day or so, im gonna give it an all day try and different baits, wih different presentations. well see how we do.

7. DOUBLEL

DOUBLEL New Member

State:
    KANSAS CITY KS
    Went out today. Lost all my live bait last week. Used frozen bait did not even get a bite. probably wont fish much during the winter. Might try for blues later in the year.

8. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    Never stop for the winter. Especially with stripers starting to bite.

9. bigfordtruck

bigfordtruck New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I never stop fishing it don't matter if its snowing just means there ant nobody else on the water

10. trotliner1

trotliner1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I had the same problem 2 weeks ago. Last weekend i moved my lines out to 20 to 30 foot deep and did great. But only on cut shad. Good Luck

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Lloyd thanks for sharing the pics of some nice Flats. Good job.

12. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    during the winter months I usually go deep, and only use blood bait and chiken gizzards marinated in garlic and cherry kool-aid. any kind of blood bait works, i like dip baits cuz it stays on longer. I also attach a few small gatoraide bottles with holes punched in them and filled with dog food to my main line as chum. course I do that year round, regardless of the depth. caught blues to channels 3-1, and a very few flats. havent caught any trphy size ones tho, all 20 lbs an under, but they all eat. My father and I used to use straight bull blood, but he has yet to teach me how we did it back then. I was a kid and should've paid closer attention to what he was doin but didnt.

13. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas

That is some good'uns. Thanks for sharing.

14. cat-n-eye

cat-n-eye New Member

State:
    SD
    I assume your running lines on the mo. When the water cools down in winter the cats hole up behind the wing dams in the deep water. The current is less there. These areas are where I concentrate my efforts. I caught my pb flathead 30lbs while it was sleeting out. I don't run lines but I would still concentrate in the areas behind the wing dams in cold water temps.

15. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    OK, I'll admit it. I'm a wuss. Ya'll can have that old cold water. I'll stay in and play with the ol' lady.......:wink:

16. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas

LOL !!! :smile2::smile2::smile2:

17. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    Me too, But I will pass on playing with the ole lady, she is rather touchy about that at times. But, look at my avatar, do you really blame her? :smile2:

18. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    Exactly what are you going to play? Hearts? Spades? Cribbage? LoL j/k

19. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    I don't know why yall are using trout lines during the winter. This is wene catfishing is the best. Look for deep holes around 40 to 50 feet. Use small fresh cut bait 5/0 hook. I caught 13 mon. and 11 sun. from 6lbs up to 39lb 4 of them were flat heads and the rest of them were blues. All of them were off rod and reel!!!

20. DOUBLEL

DOUBLEL New Member

State:
    KANSAS CITY KS
    I am moving out of the city down to Hillsdale. I will be close to the lake 2 miles so I shouldn't have any problems fishing this year. Thanks for the replys.