Winter-time Stripers

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by john catfish young, Dec 15, 2008.

1. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    For all of you guys who live near a Steam-plant....now is the time to get serious after some of the great big Stripers swimming in Tennessee waters. The pictures below are of My Uncle with a 58 Lb'er...me with a pair that weighed 25 & 30 lbs....And 1 that weighed 36 lbs and all were caught on Live skipjacks at Night!!!!! Give it a try....you will love it Brot:big_smile:hers!

Attached Files:

2. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Thanks John. Those are some really nice fish.
    I notice when we go to the Gallatin Steam Plant during the day boats are everywhere. If we stay a little past dark, there are absolutly no boats in site. I think Ill stay out later in the evening next time. Mabey my luck will change. Thanks agian for your helpful information bro.

3. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    John thank's for the pic's those are some beautie's there:big_smile:

4. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    big john .. give us some info on how to rig for these big boys? i know i sure would loke to know alittle more about it!! thanks

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Those are some great looking fish, congrats and thanks for sharing

6. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky

I always rig for stripers in one of 3 ways. The first method for fishing a live skipjack on the bottom is to use a 6 oz sinker on a 8-12" leader line and a 30" leader line to the hook using a 3-way swivel. The longer hook line allows the skipjack plenty of room to attract attention and stay livelier longer than a short leader line.

Another way I rig is the same rig with cut skipjacks ...usually heads with guts left in!

I also use the carolina rig often and have good results with it too. I usually have my favorite spot and show up in the afternoon in time to catch skipjacks and fish from (3 pm -10 pm)

Another very productive way to fish for these stripers is to put a live skipjack on a big float and let it free-line. Give out about 50 yrds of line and just let the skipjack splash around on the surface. It can be exsplosive at times.

7. crappietime

crappietime New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro Tennessee
    That is some fine looking fish there.So does it work for dead skip jack also?What kind of bait tank you use.Thought about rigging me one up with a bucket and an old pump but aint for sure how I want to mount it on the boat so it would keep the fish alive.

8. Catfishnewbie08

Catfishnewbie08 New Member

State:
    TN
    Can you catch skipjack below the Old Hickory Dam?

I was over there for the first time today fishing for Sauger. Pretty good current going there due to all the rain. There was a sign that said "Warning: Fishing platform closed due to falling rocks", but a fella there told me that people still fish there all the time with no problem. Didn't take my chances though, didn't want to get a ticket from TWRA or something.

9. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    If your bait is dead....just cut off the head and fish with it. It is just as good of a bait for me. I dont use a bait tank because all of my stripers have been caught from the bank. Whenever I need a fresh skipjack, I just catch another one. I used to have a nice boat....but everytime I went fishing in it....I never caught a single fish. So I sold it to the highest bidder and became a bank fisherman. My catches went up greatly after that!!! On everything including Flatheads, Bluecats, Stripers!!! You just got to do your homework and find where the fish are at.:wink:Heres a few more pics....32lbs...42lbs...40lbs.:crazy:

Attached Files: