Winter Time Sours

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by fourteenfootcat, Oct 20, 2005.

1. fourteenfootcat

fourteenfootcat New Member

State:
    Big Spirit Lake, Iowa
    It's that time of year again... Time to make some sours. For some that are not acquainted with this method of madness, let me fill ya in.

Sours are anything and everything put in a bell jar and put in the sun or in the ground for weeks/months to 'sour' the meat you have in the jar. This can be fish gutts, fish chopped up in a blender, blood bait type stuff, cheese, and roadkill (hairless por favor). Sours are great for spring time flatheads, channels and blues.

Now some people make their sours in the Spring. That's perfectly fine. I like to start a little early and get the vermentation going on my strips of carp meat I fillet.

What kinda sours do you like to make?

2. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    I dont know bout sours but i would'nt lick you're fingers after baiting up, e coli big time :eek:

3. Mark Alexander

Mark Alexander New Member

State:
    Moody, Texas
    Never heard of sours......very intresting, kinda like souring maze?

4. Big Nick

Big Nick New Member

State:
    McKinney TX
    That is the most awful thing I have ever heard. I'll stick to the regular stuff!

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    We used to cut up skipjack and dig a hole. Put the bait in a glass gallon jar.
    IT will take about 3 days for the bait to be ready to use.
    Works great for trot lines or jugs.
    Pete

6. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    well i guess if that works for ya , man that sounds nasty. i think i'll stick with fresh shad an skippies their bad enough fresh much less a few days or months old. an i do better with fresh than old or frozen anyways.

7. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Our lake gets covered with ice most winters.Lots of winter killed shad to be had frozen in the ice or on the edge.I will pick these up to use when the lake starts thawing.
    Not as extreme as burying them in a jar,but still effective.

There is also a lake close by that is stocked with muskie,they will also feed on the shad as the ice melts and the shad drop to the bottom.

8. fishoutloud

fishoutloud New Member

State:
    Kansas
    If I can catch some early season shad I'll put them in a 5 gal bucket and cover them with water where they'll sit for a few days. I've never buried any. anyhow there's usually a few weeks early in the year that the cats just tear em' up!! Those fish are the ones that go to the table. They so much firmer and taste better out of the cooler spring water!

9. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Round these parts you can buy shad sides already soured by the pint. even know a fellar that uses pliers to bait his hook with them,nasty yas but effective bait this time of the year

10. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    Cant say I have done it on purpose, but having left some shad accidently, I can see where it would really leave a scent for em to follow.

11. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    I'll try most anything once maybe twice. Road kill idea sounds kinda interesting. Plenty of free bait around. If ya get it fresh you don't have the smell problem till hook time.

12. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    I spose that would work, but I think I will stay with the fresh stuff...LOL To be honest it sounds like it would gag a magate!:conc-big:

13. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    There was a time I almost gave up chew. I kept getting sick when fishing and blamed the chew for making me puke.:mad: Alas, I finally smartened up and bought a set of "dishwashing gloves" to use while baiting. Now I don't feel that "quesy feeling" and that works!:)

Personally I like to use beef, chicken livers, scrap meat (not that particular) instead of fish meat for sours. Stays on the hook better. Have to be careful where I put it to sour due to neighbors and their animals getting into my bait.

Frank

14. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Sounds like an evil brew but I have done that and had great luck in the spring. All I can say is stay up wind and wear gloves. When it comes time to eat or smoke, You'll be glad you did. If you puke, do it in the water. If they'll go for this brew, they'll have to see what thats about too.