winter time skip jack

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by johndeere nut, Oct 4, 2009.

1. johndeere nut

johndeere nut New Member

State:
    oldham county,kentucky
    i havent been able to catch any skipjack yet to freeze i been catching shad but dont have many can you catch skipjack in the winter?

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yes Brian they can be caught in winter below some dams. The Cumberland City Fish Camp each year is a time many gather skipjack. Ky and Barkley dam have skipjack in small numbers in late Feb and March.

3. johndeere nut

johndeere nut New Member

State:
    oldham county,kentucky
    thanks mickey i will have to keep this in mind as i need some skipjack in a bad way

4. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    if you were a lil closer to my neck of the woods i would give ya some.

5. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    If you can find a hot water outlet you can find them there sometimes during the winter

6. johndeere nut

johndeere nut New Member

State:
    oldham county,kentucky
    i aprecciate the offer fishassasin and sweet avatar whisker maniac i will try to locate some in trimble county at the power plant but i think its an underwater discharge so might be tricky guess in the winter i can look for the steam

7. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    if they are pumping any water out of it at all im sure they will be there. but you have to get them early in the morning around day break or late afternoon.

8. perrycounty.in

perrycounty.in New Member

State:
    Indiana

Dave you been catchin them at newburg dam?

9. boyd79

boyd79 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i go too barkley dam and get mine every year in april. we fill up 5 5gallon buckets. but only go too ky. 3or4 times a year so they last but we always try for fresh at the smithland dam. got skipys in oct.last year up ther. we fallow the commercial fisherman back from the water too the shop for spoonbill guts too. certain time of the year they will hammer it. caught 18 fish two years ago avrage fish 21lbs bigest was 52lbs best day of fishin of my life:big_smile::big_smile: all on spoonbill guts. if u cant get skipys find some guts.