Winter Time Shad Net

Discussion in 'Castnet(s)' started by bigsammy, Oct 16, 2006.

1. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    An old timer once told me if ya put duct tape around the bottom of yer throw net,it will stay open better on the long way down to the bottom when yer throwin in deep water.Anyone tried or heard of this?

2. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Im curious about this too.

3. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I have added more weight to mine. I will Duct tape 1 once sinkers on it if I need to to sink faster. Never tried just Duct Tape though, nice idea...

4. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Don't forget to add some additional rope to the throw line to reach the shad when they go DEEP....

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I would like to know more about this myself. does it open better to? I was thinking i needed to add some weight to my net and that sounds like an easy way to do it.

6. Tadpole

Tadpole New Member

State:
    Georgia
    In Florida they add duct tape or lawn chair webbing around the bottom of there cast nets to make them open and stay open all the way to the bottom when after shrimp , before adding tape or webbing to a cast net be sure to check with your state wildlife office because last time I heard there was a law agents adding tape or webbing or anything to the bottom of a net in Georgia.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I throw 8 or 9 ft radius nets in the winter, no problems getting shad that are down as far as 30 to 40 ft.

Quality of the net comes into play - poorly constructed "8 ft radius" nets won't open nearly as wide as good-quality "8 ft radius" nets...

It's more important to have plenty of weight - at least 1 lb of weight per radius foot, preferably 1.25 to 1.5 lbs/ft. - and a large mesh size, 1/2" to 5/8". You'll never catch deep shad using a 6 ft radius, 3/4 lb per ft, 3/8" mesh net. Or at least, you won't catch very many...

8. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I agree i use a cheapy cast net and i haven't been able to get any out of the deeper water. works good when they are on or close to the bank.

9. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    the duct tape will keep the net from closing. i use a nylon net in 6 ft. and it hasn't ever closed before it hit bottom, as long as i use enough line to get it there without resistance form the mainline, without having to use the tape.

10. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Where exactly are you guys putting the duct tape. Inside the net, both sides? How far from the weights?

11. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    the tape goes right around the perimeter of the net, next to the weights. Probably has to be on both sides so it'll stick to itself.

Honestly, seems like an awful lot of work for not much gain.

12. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Thanks Marty. I was wondering how long it would stick. Last year the shad were 40' deep and hard to reach even with the big nets. Might be worth a try when they go really deep if it will keep the net open.

13. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
  14. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My state is one of the ones that limits us to a 4 or 5 foot radius. :sad2: (Not like I could throw a bigger one anyways.) :smile2: