winter time flatheads

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by gatortail, Jan 4, 2008.

1. gatortail

gatortail New Member

State:
    tennessee
    anyone who fishes for flaties fish deep water and above the dams it may be a mile or so up but when u find them it will be a bunch i have cuaght as many as 17 in one hole:cool2:

2. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Flatheads move downstream in the winter. I've had good luck finding a hole behind a dike downstream after a long stretch of river with out any.

3. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I am seeking my first Winter flatty.:0a32:

4. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I wish the flats were biting year round like the do spring and summer time . But when it gets cold i fish blues. i want to catch some winter flats sometime.

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i fish winter flats when the conditions are right. i haven't fished for them in a few weeks now, due to unstabile water conditions and weather. i look for holes that are adjacent to the river channel, some of these places have been the deepest badest hole in a few mile stretch of river, and a couple others haven't been as deep, but have the similar characterisics as the others. i have tried fishing holes that the river channels push through, and they haven't been as good for me in the winter. i think these flats really try to disassociate themselves from the current more in the winter holding months, than they do in the warm water months. i downsize all of my baits, using smaller slender baits such as creek chubs, bass etc. when livebait isn't producing, a nice chunk of fresh cutbait can be the ticket....rollo

6. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Thats awesome you have caught that many flats in the winter time. When it comes to Flatheads in the winter I usually dont pursue them, simply because I am lucky enough to have a high bluecat population close by, it is nice to run into one every once in a while in the winter time though..:roll_eyes:

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    tbull, it is probably alittle easier for me to locate them, and distinguish what holes are productive wintering holes because the muskingum is so much smaller than the ohio.. esp. the sections i target, they are simply riffles, holes, and runs... the water depth can vary from a foot to 20 ft....i find it hard to believe that you couldn't find them on the ohio the same though..you may have to work alittle harder to find them, but i think they would be holed about the same in lower current areas...rollo

8. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    Sounds like a couple of you guys have the winter Flats figured out. I personally target trophy Blues in the winter & Flat fish in the spring, summer, & fall. This is more so a preferrence thing for me.

J

9. crazyjet1

crazyjet1 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Winter time flatheads are hard to catch and can say i have never caught one except for one time on the ohio when we got into a deep deep hole in the middle of january fishing blues with the river channel adjacent to the hole the flatheads were just stacked up in there. That day we couldnt even fish more than 3 rods because we had so many flatty's comeing up and eating our cut bait. Went back a week later and it was a phenominal blue cat hole. Never caught a flatty past november any other time. I think thoe when you do catch a flathead in the winter on a river you need to concentrate on that hole and you willl catch more. I think that there is only a few select spots that a flathead likes in the winter and if you can catch them in the hole you will be on them. For me blue cattin it is way better in the winter but the summer is always the best because thats when they all bite good.

10. 1442ncs

1442ncs New Member

State:
    Muhlenburg, KY
    The last flathead i caught was the week before Christmas. Ever since its been nothing but blues.

11. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    In late november we switch from flatties to the blues. In march or april we switch back to the flatties. Whatever works for you is what I say.:wink:

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i would like to add...once you have located a wintering hole for flatheads, don't think that you are just gonna sit there a pick em off one by one...sometimes they are aggressive and you can catch numbers, but as the cold winter settles in i have found.. you have to bring the bait to them, if you miss them even by a few yrds. they are unlikely to chase anything.. fish methodical...make short casts, close to one another.. cover the entire hole until you find them.. after catching one, try to get your next bait close to the same area.. most likely there are more close by...fish slow also, these fish will eat if you bounce a bait on their nose... BE PATIENT!!:big_smile: rollo

13. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Great advise rolo! I would also add that don't be afraid to reel in a foot or two every 15 minutes - 1/2 hour, this has also been very productive on the slow, slow days!
    Randy

14. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    If you fail to catch a winter flathead, or the second flathead. It's because you didn't follow the instructions set forth in the above post. I can't give you better directions.
    If you can't catch one here, you may as well give up, and become a stylist.