Winter time crappie

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by bluehunter, Dec 5, 2005.

1. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    A lot of people say that crappie is a fish for all seasons, including winter. I have not yet mastered the art of winter time crappie fishing yet and is open to some tips from those who have had success targeting crappie in the winter time. I know the deal is to look deeper. I have caught some while trolling jigs for trout by mistake, but have not got into a consistant bite on crappie during this time. Any strategies on winter time crappie?

2. categgs

categgs New Member

Lots of crappie in michigan!We catch them at different deths)and different times of the day. :)

3. categgs

categgs New Member

But thates during the day.At night thay could be close to the top or thay could be a foot off bottom or a foot or to from the top.Thay are shure fon to catch .And a lot more fun to eat ! :)

4. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I have been using a 11/2 red and white tube. Have got them along piers and deep. Sometimes I put a minnow on with a tube.
    Good fishing
    :thumbsup:
    Bill

5. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Not sure about California,but the crappie are pretty consistant here in Mo. during the winter.they school up bigtime,so if you can find them,you can catch them.
    The lake is starting to freeze here(8 deg.this morning)but I've been catching them in the shallows.I'll just have to follow the ice as it creeps slowly to the deeper water.I never use minnows,always a double jig under a float.

6. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    looking for some help on fishing crappie on big rivers in the winter,if it helps i live in loisisana and fish the Red river

7. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    During the winter i always chum with creamed corn before i fish for crappies.

I also use something bloody or strong scented (just for the winter), pieces of beef liver or magicbait panfish doughballs.

8. shadow

shadow New Member

We catch our share in the winter by fishing over cover on the creek channel drops, usually in 10 to 25 feet of water. The crappie show up on the depth finder like stacked cordwood.

9. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    If you cant get them to bite on the top, take the bobber of and bottom fish with small chunks of fresh beef liver or magicbait panfish doughballs.

I don't use chicken liver only beef for crappie, its just tougher and there not as picky as catfish.

10. Thomas P. Conley

Thomas P. Conley New Member

State:
    Copperas Cove,TX.
    I agree with Shadow, here where I fish I fish around creek channels ( the inside bends) and bridge piers in anywhere from 10 to 25 feet of water using small jigs (1/64-1/100 oz.) ( I have tiny jigs that go to 1/250 oz) and I tip them with yellow or red power bait.

11. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    Here we just either use minnows or small jigs 1/32 -1/64oz as far as color goes that is up to the fish on what they want that day. We have a lot of heated docks here with brush piles under them. The biggest problem here catching your limit. As all the crappie have to be over 10" to keep.

Best of luck to ya.

12. r_bray89

r_bray89 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    hered it could be done but never tried

13. Thomas P. Conley

Thomas P. Conley New Member

State:
    Copperas Cove,TX.
    Here in Central TX. last year on a local river known for large runs of Crappie's the fish ran in mid Dec. and where done running by the end of Jan.

14. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    I catch Crappie in NW Louisiana on minnows tightlining about 1 and a half feet off the bottom in 18-20 feet of water. Alot of people around here jig for them with equal success. During Dec., Jan., and Feb. you have to keep what you catch on Toledo Bend. They are deep and when you bring them up too fast it kills them. But I still catch alot more over 10" than under. If you can find some deep water structure you will usually find Crappie.

15. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Bulldaddy, you ever fish the Red, thats what I fish the most, I thought I would finde some with my electronics, but nothing yet, i may not be looking in the right places. I do have a spot on Cross that is a good one but the water is to low now, funny thing about that spot is you don't catch any big ones, I have fished this spot for about 15 years, and I bet I have only cought 5or6 over 1 1/2 pounds, but a ton of fish up to that, any body have a clue on that one?

16. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    David, I usually fish the Red with a handfull of trips to other places (I only live live 5 minutes from the Bossier Launch). I usually catch most of my river Perch on 12 Mile Bayou. I have some friends who do well around Bishop's and Caspien futher to the south. This will be the first year I put out some Christmas trees in a few holes for structure and see how it works.

17. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Bull you must live close by, I look at the Centrytel every morning when I get up, I,m just trying to figure out if I need to fish deep or in timber, and man you talk about timber Bishop point looks like the Bend did 10 years ago. I did good on catfish, but can,t seem to find the crappie.

18. chinook

chinook New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I fish in southern Illinois. Most of the time the ice isn't thick enough to ice fish.
    but anytime the lake is not iced over crappie can be caught in the deepest water around structure, especially concrete bridge pilings. A graph is a big help, almost a must. My favorite bait is a 1/32 or 1/16 jig tipped only with a meal worm.

19. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    David, we must be neighbors cause I live in Shady Grove. I fish 12 mile for Crappie along the piles just past Dupont's. It is hit and miss sometimes. One day I will pull 30 out of there the next time it will be 10 yellow bass. Went to Toledo Bend Sataurday and caught 82 Crappie, 39 Yellow Bass, 1 Bass, and 16 Blues. It was a nice little trip to say the least:D .

Attached Files:

20. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Bulldaddy, I live in Southern Gardens, sounds like you had a nice trip. Where did you put in on Toledo, I have been wanting to go but didn't know where you could lounch. I spent most of the day getin some Christmas trees. You know that some people will get very mad at you for getin a tree out of thier yard.