Winter Time (cold weather) Range Cubes

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by TX Fisherman, Nov 5, 2007.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    i wanna try range cubes, they sell them at a local feed store, but they dont have 40% they have 38% and 26% i believe? well i was wondering which would be better and if range cubes still work in the winter, if so how do you set them and where? and what about soured milo and grain? haha so many questions, any information is greatly appreciated!

2. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    The 40 % are suppose to be better.Yes they still work just allow a little longer for em to start.I just fan them out around the boat by hand.Usually about five pounds at one spot and a little more every so often if the fish slow down.

3. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    the soured grain will work any time also. it is just so nasty to haul around . put the cubes in a 5 gal bucket and with the lid on they will stay good for a long time if you do not need all of them on a trip. we started putting them in a 4" pvc pipe with holes drilled in it and that works good. just remember to only fill it half full as the cubes swell when they get wet.

4. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i would get the cheapest that is not primarily cotten seed. Be sure not to get the cotton seed this time of year, it takes all day for them to melt.

5. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    I use the 20% range cubes and soured hen scratch. I always put out both. Some fish prefer the cubes and some prefer the grain. They will be stuffed with one or the other after a few minutes of fishing. I've cut some open that were full of Danny King's punch bait.

6. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Got a question about souring hen scratch, have seen where putting a couple of beers in it will get it going, how long does it need to sit before using?

7. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    Lonnie,
    If it's warm during the day, it should be soured up good enough to fish in a week. Sometimes just a few hot days in the summer will do the trick. I've never tried the beer thing. I don't drink so I don't have them around the house. If I did, I don't think I'd dump them in my sour mash. I've also heard of people adding a packet of yeast to help start the fermentation process. Some people will add various things to the grain to give it a little kick: road kill, chopped up shad, left-over dead minnows, etc.

8. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Think I'll take some of my range cubes along as well, it's been fairly cool here the last couple of days.

9. fatfreddy

fatfreddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    Beer will definately help speed up the fermintation process just the same as yeast. I started using it in my corn for my hog traps and now use it in my milo for fish. The cheeper the beer the better. Lonestar. Powdered jello works too rember in school making the jello mold for science? Pigs love the jello best.Good luck