Winter Time Channel Cats

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by bobby-catfishing, Jan 9, 2008.

1. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    I took my 4-year old daughter Abby out to Lewisville Saturday to do a little scouting and see what patterns are working best right now. Water temps were right around 47 degrees in most areas we fished. Our best bite was was 37' deep on the edge of a creek channel. We located a large concentration of bait and fish on the graph and managed to stay over them in the wind. We put out a little soured grain and almost immediately started catching eating size channel cats on Danny King's punch bait. The fish had no preferrence for the blood or original flavor. They hit both about the same. They hit just about as fast as you dropped the bait down within a foot of the bottom. The bite was really light at times. The smaller fish hit more agressive than the bigger fish. You knew you had a better fish on when the line just felt heavy. We finished with our 50 fish limit of 1 to 3 lb fish. We caught a lot of small fish and probably through back 1 or 2 for every one we kept. It was great to spend the day fishing with my daughter.

2. bobby-catfishing

State:
    Highland Villag
    Sorry about the duplicate post. I somehow pasted and submitted by accident.

I was wanting to see what patterns were working for everyone else this time of year. I'm not faced with the extreme cold water temps or ice that others have to deal with. I did notice that the fish were considerably deeper this weekend than the have the past several months. Had to move out to 37 feet to find the fish this time versus some of my spots that have been hold fish in the 15 to 20 foot range. Punch bait on a short Carolina rig has been working best using a #6 or #8 trebble hook. I experimented with a #2 octopus hook baited with punch bait this weekend. It actually worked fairly well.

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    good post...i always like to hear about those that take kids fishing. some of my best experiences were with those that took me at a young age.. those are memories for a lifetime! thanks for the thread...rollo

4. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    Thanks for the report. I'm sure your little girl was loving every minute of it.

J

5. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE

Bobby, Is that lake Lewisville formally known as Lake Dallas?

J

6. bobby-catfishing

State:
    Highland Villag
    Jeremiah,
    Same lake for the most part. The area north of the old dam is often referred to as Lake Dallas. They are connected though. Have you ever fished down here? The catfishing on Lewisville is outstanding.

7. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE

I fished that lake from the time I was 5yrs old till I was 14 with nothing more than a can of worms & a Zebco 33 (100% by myself, self taught). Then my family move to Omaha, NE. We actually resided in Lewsiville in a development called Highland Park about 3 blocks from the lake. I remeber being 8yrs old hooking into 15lbs channels & it took everything I had to bring them babies in. I also remember have to fight off water moccasins (sp?) from eating my fish on my stringer!!!!

I actually plan on retireing back there when it's all said and done.

J