winter time cats

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by master_cat, Oct 24, 2005.

1. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    how do u catch cats in farm ponds in the winter

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I put the positive and negative wires in the water and then start the, oh, no wait.

Sorry, just kidding. This'll be my first year really fishing in the cold weather and I'll be doing that on the river where there's blues, so I don't know. I'd guess if it's a pond, though, that theres channels and maybe bullheads in it? I guess they'd still be eating, but the bite might be slow. If you have an idea of where the holes and cover are, start there. Somebody posted a pretty good article not too long ago about feeding schedules for fish-farm channel cats that was kind of neat. Basically just cut the amount of food way down, if I remember right. Guess that would translate into still eating, but not much.

Sorry I couldn't be more help and good luck!

Branden

3. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    To finish what Branden was saying. The Western Electric long distance Magneto is your best choice. It runs around 150$.... We just wont get into how I know this though. :cool:

Fish still have to eat so in a pond you might get better bites if you chum. Try fishing with dead shad or other cut bait in and around cover.

4. Mathersm

Mathersm New Member

State:
    Darbydale, Ohio
    I always fish the deepest hole in ponds for cats late in the year.

5. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Earth worms fished under a bobber about 3ft. off the bottom, has worked well for me this time of year. Maybe try finding the deepest hole and carolina rig some Punch Bait.

6. Mathersm

Mathersm New Member

State:
    Darbydale, Ohio
    By the way late in the year is when I do best on cut bait.

7. THE FISH WHISPER'ER

THE FISH WHISPER'ER New Member

State:
    waynesville ,IL
    if you get ice its pretty easy they still eat just not as much,a medium size purple ice jig about a#8 or #10 with a verry small piece of minnow or chub only about 1/2 inch at best find the deepest hole thenput it about 4 inches of the bottum, use 4# line on minnispining rigs works well for me,i reconmend the use of a gaff they can be tricky to get through the hole. be carfule it is easy to fish out a pond of cats realy easy through the ice they seem to scool all in the same spot P.S-THEY ARE EXTER TASTY OUY OF THE COLD WATTER

8. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    just remember the fish are going to be much slower.
    so leave your bait out there longer