Winter Time Catfishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by Pip, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    While a lot of people put the rods and fishing gear away and/or winterize the boat for the season and grab the hunting gear. I'm usually back asswards. I've always hit the waters pretty much all year around. My idea of winterizing the boat amounts to making sure my little heater works, have plenty of stabil for the gas tank and have the boat covered, so when it snows or gets icy, the boat isn't full of it. As long as the ramps aren't too icy, I'll be hitting the rivers. That winter bite for channels and blues can be a blast. Those catfish do 2 things very well, they eat and they breed. Catfish are pretty darn smart, probably smarter then most fish, they have those senses to find the food source in the winter, even if it is a piece of bait on the end of my hook.

The bite changes a bit from when it's warmer, but those catfish don't stop feeding. You drift a piece of bait in front of them in the winter and they'll jump on it. You can even find a couple flatheads in the warm water discharges like I did last January. You might have to change up your tactics and adjust a few things but finding the fish isn't that hard.

I've had some pretty good fishing in the winter in the past. Nothing like having the whole river to yourself, No jetskiers, no recreational ding-a-lings. Maybe hitting up a warm water discharge, or drifting 8 or 10 miles of river in a day. The peacefulness and solitude and relaxation of hitting the waters in the winter is hard for me to beat. The snot might be running out of my nose, feet and hands a little chilly, but when that rod goes down, thats the last thing on my mind. Not really different then when your sitting in a treestand and freezing and that buck walks up and you get that rush. I might be the oddball, and a couple fruitloops short of a bowl of cereal, but the catfishing season for me doesn't stop when the temperature gets below 50 degrees. I'm sure this winter will be no different, I'll be out there just as much as I can be.

As long as I can get around and my health is good I'll still be out there on the rivers watching those rod tips and enjoying what the rivers have to offer. Sitting on the water in the winter is still better then sitting at home thinking about fishing, in my book.

2. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Move over, Pip, I'm right there with you. That's why I hunt the early season for deer...get the meat in the freezer so I can get back to fishing! Hope to see you out there.

Tight lines.

3. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Heck yeah Pip. If I had a boat I don't think I would ever put it away.

4. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    have to agree with ya pip i fish year round except for extreme weather,, no boat here but winter sure offers alot of space on the banks :big_smile: almost quit hunting cause i rather fish

5. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Winter time there are fewer crowds to worry about. Also there are no leaves on the trees, so that kind of opens up the casting lanes a bit. :wink: Only ever had one bad experience while winter fishing. One time while fishing alone, I slid down the bank into 44 degree water with the air temp at 28. Needless to say I do not fish alone in the winter any more. :roll_eyes: Winter fishing is fun, but please use more caution out there than I did my brothers. :wink:

Ray

6. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Just gonna do some jigging for saugeyes. I have caught some real nice cats in the blistering cold like this also.

7. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

I mostly only fish for walleyes in the winter. Never tried fishing for channels in the winter, I usually stop catfishing around september. I may have to try it out.:cool2:

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Wintertime fishing sets apart the men from the boys! While the Weekend Warriors and Internet fisherman store their stuff away until the first day of opening day trout, the real fisherman never quit! Fishing is a year long process. Less crowds, no jetskiers, and pesky kids you won't leave you alone.!

9. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    and best of all NO FREAKIN BUGS!!!!:eek:oooh::tounge_out::wink:

10. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

How successful has everyone been catfishing in the winter time? I could pull channels out in early march but I dont know about december.

11. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    I've always done pretty good. Being I got a boat, I do a lot of drifting in the winter time for channels. My biggest channel 22# came off a chunk of fresh beef liver back in 99'. There have been days I'd drift a stretch of river locally 8 to 10 miles and catch 20+ channels suspending the bait a couple feet off the bottom. But there have been days I couldn't buy a nibble either.

try this......one of those days when you know there is a big snow storm coming in fish right up until it starts snowing it can get pretty darn interesting. That low pressure drop seems they like to put the feedbags on big time and hang on.

12. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    The sauger are biting ok around here, won't be long till the walleyes pick up. I keep trying for the muskies too.
    I love the wintertime fishing but around the 2nd or 3rd week in December I'll put the boat away and get ready for some ice fishing.
    The wife and kid are going to Florida with a friend of hers for a week starting tomorrow so I got a week of fishing to do.:smile2:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  13. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I fish year round also but lean more towards Walleye/Sauger this time of year. Once things ice over I will be on top the hardwater chasing Trout, Bass, Panfish, etc. :0a18:

14. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

Around here the susquehanna river is doing awesome for walleyes. They are stacking up in the holes around here and you can have 70+ walleye days. But most of the walleyes are in the 9-12 inch range. But there's some bigger ones in there:wink: Also the delaware river is picking up. Its harder to get them in that river but they are alot bigger (17-24+). All I use for walleye are Reel Bait® Walleye Flasher - Long-Shank you can get them at cabelas.com Just put worm body (orange and chartruse) and tipped with a large shiner. DY-NO-MITE

15. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

dynomite

Attached Files:

16. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Yes, I forgot when winter fishing you do not have to deal with sweating in 100 degree heat, scratching the many mosquito bites, and lastly, no poison ivy, poison oak, poison sumac, and 7 minute itch!:cool2:

17. Mike-

You posts are outstanding. Thank you for freely sharing the info bud. I am a die hard boater. I get out every month of the year possible. It's the only thing in my life that makes me feel at peace is getting out on that river. Between the end of June and October, I kept the boat out of the water a total of maybe 7-10 days. I am addicted. I'll bust the trailer through the ice along the ramp, even had a fella offer to bust heavy the ice off the bottom of the ramp with his snow plow for me.

Now the coldest reading I have gotten during the winter on the fishfinder was around 34 or 35 degrees, with the average in the upper 30's and low 40's. I never imagined that it would be possible to pull catfish out of a river that cold. Don't get me wrong. I fish pretty hard up to my Thanksgiving morning trip, just seems like the bite is so bad by then, I lose interest and just do the boating thing, with a half-hearted attempt to wet a line here and there over the winter.

But I know there are things to learn that could help me get a fish or two out there in the ice water, and I learn a lot of that from here and from listening to guys like you bro. I am looking forward to an interesting winter on the NPT.

18. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    And the ever-bothersom nettles (burn-hazel). :wink:

Ray

19. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    I missed out on the wintertime fishing last december to march due to incarceration so Expect a lot of Octoraro reports this winter in the PA Lakes thread... like it or not:wink:

20. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I sat dead smack in a snow storm and almost had some rods pulled in the river and a cop stopped and asked what I was doing I said fishing he said in this weather? I said it makes them bite better he said as long as you don't have a fire you are ok that was December 19 or 18 2 years ago the biggest channel that day was 31" just under 9#