winter time catfish

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by mixrdrivr113, Jan 18, 2008.

1. mixrdrivr113

mixrdrivr113 New Member

State:
    Bay, Mo
    hi i just found this site,so far it is great,i been a catfisherman since i was bout ten mostly in are lake,been getting into river fishing alot lately mostly on the gasconade,and missouri and sometimes the mississippi,I have quite a few questions for u cat men out there, but i will stick with just two for now, i have heard that you can catch some nice catfish during the winter months and have always wanted to try it I normally like to use shad or herring for bait,so my questions are where is the best place to catch them in the winter,heard you got to look for deep holes,and where do you look for shad and herring this time of yr. As I said I normally fish the gasconade river between helds Island access and the ferry at J,and on the missouri river around Hermann any help will b greatly taken thanks

2. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Roland, welcome to the BOC/SOC:cool2:, best catfishing site on the web! Be sure to check out the library a lot of good info in there. I'm sure the MO bunch will be along to answer you river bait questions shortly.

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Welcome Roland. Without a doubt your at the right place if ya need any help. I've never fished the missouri river or the mississippi that far north, so ditto for my advise. Again welcome and make yourself at home.

4. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Welcome aboard Roland! Well I don't know who gave you that information but It might be the same person who told me. If I see him again I am gonna fire a shot at him!:wink: I think he just wanted to see me freeze my but off. :smile2:

No you are supposed to be able to catch these things this time of year but If you ask me they leave the river and hunker down in a warm cave. They are supposed to be in the deeper holes this time of year in slack water. You can find them behind the wing dykes out of the current. Behind the wing dykes there is usually a hole towards the back of them that will have little to no current. This can be tricky because there will be other fish in these areas as well, (asians, gar, drum and other undesirables) You will find them stacked up near the bottom and sometimes up into the water column. Lately we have been marking the cats in around 25 ft of water but getting them to bite is another story. Last week we found some warmer water up a tributary that was 4 degrees warmer and we caught some fish in there. If you ask me winter time fishing is good to get you out of the house and to keep you sain. Some people can catch them this time of year they tell me, but from personal experience I can't wait for the warmer weather and the big take downs.

5. moriverfish

moriverfish Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hi ya'll, first post here, wonderful site. I fish the Missouri around Booneville. I've been out every weekend since Christmas and not had any luck. Been marking fish on the graph tight on the front tips of wing dikes at 20'-25'. I'm
    pretty sure they are blues, caught them there before in march-april. Only been getting a few tugs for bites, using shad guts, shad,and skipjack. The surface temp's been at 31 to 34 deg., I think it's been too cold, but not real sure. I think the waterneeds to warm up 6 to 8 deg. and they will bite better. I heard the fishing is pretty good down there towards Washington,

6. mixrdrivr113

mixrdrivr113 New Member

State:
    Bay, Mo
    thanks for the help was hoping to hear that this is a good time to fish though hate this time of yr nothing much to do and seems like forever till it get warm enough to fish my give it a try if it warms back up some,dont it figure the last week of bow season we had great fishing weather and now that its over with and i could do some fishing we r having great deer hunting weather. again thanks for the help

7. moriverfish

moriverfish Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Amen to that brother, it's killing me not to be fishing. Anybody want to go in a couple weeks if it warms up, give me a shout.

8. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    If it was ging to be 35 degress tommorrow I'd go fishing.

9. Blue Bruiser

Blue Bruiser New Member

State:
    St Louis, Missouri
    Well first off welcome to the BOC. Hope you enjoy it as much as the rest of us do.... there are a great bunch of guys here......

As for catching the cold weather cats... It is true. We catch a lot during the cold months..... It isn't hard to come upon a hole thats holding anywhere from 20-200 cats this time of year...... The whole trick is not the bait yet the size of the bait. You have to remember that these fish have a metabolism that close to shuts down when the water gets below lets say the 50 degree mark. So if ya just find a good deep hole and paint fish on the radar, downsize your baits and you should have fish in the boat in notime.....

As for finding bait goes thats a trial and error thing this time of year...... Unless you can find a warm water discharge somewhere near where you fish, be prepared to look deep. That rope that comes on the castnet outta the box probably won't cut it, cuz the bait is gonna be deep just like the game.

Hope this helps some and once again ,

WELCOME BROTHER

10. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Roland,
    Welcome to the BOC from Indiana.

11. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN

Welcome to the BOC from Indiana.

12. thomas feldon

thomas feldon New Member

State:
    Farmington, MO.
    Welcome Roland and John.
    Fishing the Missipi. around ST Gen.
    Early December has been good for me. Late Febuary to the end of April have alway's been outstanding. Problem was, it was alway's from 10 pm to about 4 am that seemed to be the best for catch'n em and freezing my a$$ off also. Didn't mind the cold while I'm catching them though!:roll_eyes:
    Never fished it when the ice chuck's were flowing.
    Alway's try to use skipjack.

13. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Alot of new members ,welcome to all ,you will learn alot on here .

14. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Welcome to the newbies. I used to fish alot up around Hermann. You should be able to get bait at the power plant at Chamois. If not start hitting the inside of the the trail dikes in calm deep water. Like someone else posted you may need an extendo rope on your castnet to get down to them. As for where to fish, I rarely catch them in the deepest water but they will be around the deeper water. And I have never caught them in the full current tin winter time.

15. el-de-saspamco

el-de-saspamco New Member

State:
    Saspamco,Texas
    Welcome newbies,
    I had often heard that you "couldn't catch any fish during the winter months" not knowing any better I accepted it, til I got here and saw for myself you can. Had never had much luck catching anything either, well folks on January 13th I hired a guide and I learned some new things and my son and I had a blast and caught a mess of kitties! The most important thing I learned here was that 'fish gotta eat' even when it's cold, after all there is something called 'ice fishing' huh?
    This web site has a lot of good info, check out the articles and m/l and you'll find years of experiance right at your finger tips.
    Hope this helps,
    Rubes

16. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Welcome to the BOC Roland and John. It is a pleasure to have new members come aboard. You will gain a wealth of knowledge in short order on this website.

As for the winter catfishing, they can and do get caught. The are however tough to find. The fish are holding in 20-25 feet of water and generally in areas to little or NO current. The Flathead bite is virtually non existent this time of year, and not worth targeting until that water temp gets back to 60 and above, with 70-72 being the majic number. The Blues can be caught, and will be in super large schools of fish. They wont always bite, but they will take baits this time of year if you put your baits right on their noses. They dont put up much of a fight, and come in like a log. I just caught a 42 last week and I had him in the boat in less than 30 seconds. Goin against conventional wisdom, I've been using LARGE baits and rigging with a tandem hook rig. The 42 hit with ferocity like a summer time fish would which really surprised me. She was one hungry fish, but man was she skinny.

If I had to guess, I'd say only one wing dyke in 30 will hold Blue's this time of year so good electronics and alot of time spent idling is worth the effort.

Welcome to the BOC and Tight Lines Out there. The spring bite is just around the corner.

17. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    On a sidenote, if anyone is out there fishing this morning you get the DIE HARD AWARD. Dang is it cold out there. It was 9 this morning with a "feels like" temp of NEGATIVE 5. Even the chickens wont come out of the coop. For once, I'm actually looking forward to going to New York because its Warmer there. :smile2:

I might have to swing by kutters and enjoy the cave for a spell. :smile2:

18. jeffjbeard

jeffjbeard New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    Welcome to the BOC guys lots of good people here and lots of knowledge maybe get ahold of Seth I think he lives up your way.

19. mixrdrivr113

mixrdrivr113 New Member

State:
    Bay, Mo
    Thanks for the tip Bob is there a warm water discharge at scamois plant? I hope if it warms back up a little to give it a try aganin thanks for the tip

20. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    yeah its hot water but there is not a big area. if they are not in the discharge try along the bank on the downstream side. Good luck