Winter Time Catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEW YORK TALK' started by ratkinson, Dec 11, 2007.

1. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    I hope the new post dragged a couple of my NY brothers in here. If you haven't noticed there are quite a few cold weather cats posts popping up. I would just like to know some local strategies you may have employed to be successful in the cold new york weather. I know I can go and catch some quality Steelhead, but I really would like to pick up the knack of winter catfishing.

Richard

2. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Ive never fished for Channel cat through the ice, but i would imagine that they stack up in the deeper holes in the winter. I have considered trying it myself but its a 45 minute drive to my nearest cat-fishing spots. Its all back roads driving and can be quite nasty driving even with a four wheel drive. If i had someone to go with id give it a try. If you get to do any hard-water fishing for cats let me know how you do!!

3. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Steve,
    I'm trying to get some topo maps of a couple of the lake bottoms in my area. I figure I'll plug in the way points on my GPS and give it a wack.

Richard

4. RockyIII

RockyIII New Member

State:
    From NY but live in NM
    Hey Steve, I tried for cats through the ice out here on one or the Reservations before. Using ch. liver, on tipups, I never thought of cut bait then. Lots of flags and then no bait. Work is getting in the way for me coming home to Corinth in Feb, maybe next year. Jim