Winter time carp fishing

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by fishhead, Feb 17, 2006.

1. fishhead

fishhead New Member

State:
    KC Missouri
    do any of you fish for carp in the winter?i have caught plenty in the summer in missouri river but have never tried in cold water . any help appreciated. thanks

2. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    I catch carp in local creeks in the winter with pieces of night crawler. The only problem is that I also catch a lot of creek chubs. Oh well, I can always use more catfish bait.

3. ScottWiseman

ScottWiseman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Wintertime carp fishing can be the best for trophies. But you probably should fish a stream or river for them and save the lakes for warmer weather as they are not too active in slower moving waters. I caught the 23 lber in my avatar on Jan. 19 of this year out of a canal with corn for bait.

4. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    Carp are active all year as ScottWiseman avatar shows , As like all fish they slow down and there metabolisim is greatly slower and therefore still waters like Lakes and Oxbows are where you might find "slower carp"
    So I agree , fish the streams this time of year

5. fishhead

fishhead New Member

State:
    KC Missouri
    thanks for the replies.i will give it a try next time out on missouri river.will take some corn along since the cats dont seem to be biting.thanks steve

6. willisjj

willisjj Guest

I caught a 12 pound carp about 2 weeks ago on chicken livers at Lake Eufaula.

7. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    Going out on Sunday,for cats and carp.Weather is supposed to be cold,but no ice on river.I will be taking corn and chicken livers to try.Will let results tomorrow night"Sunday" :blink:

8. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    caught a coulple small Muskies,and no carp or cats.Just got cold feet,wind chill was really bad last 2 weekends.:cursing:

9. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    Went out to the Lehigh today,used corn with no luck on 1 rod.With my other I was using a big Mepps and got 2 small Muskies. STILL TRYING TO CATCH A CARP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

10. ibohunter

ibohunter New Member

State:
    southeast, pa
    i catch them with a couple of redworm when i go sucker fishing

11. chesapeakecarper

chesapeakecarper New Member

State:
    Maryland
    In winter I try the warmer protected spots on lakes and ponds as has been mentioned, especially near deep water where fish don't have to move far to soak up some rays.

Also check out power plant and industrial warmwater discharges..warmer water attracts all species of fish.

12. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I always try and fish deeper sections next to my normal summer locations, which are general big open flat muddy areas around 3 ft. deep. In turn, in the cold months I just throw my bait out into the main channel for carp. Try using small baits, I've had my best luck with 3 kernels of corn or small dough balls and a #4 hook. Good luck.