Winter time BLUES

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by nightowl, Sep 24, 2007.

1. nightowl

nightowl New Member

State:
    Vicksburg,Mississippi
    I would like to hear everyone's ideas on catching big blues when the weather turns cold. I my self have never targeted BB in the winter, but i will be trying this year.
    Come on guys and gals. You don't have to tell us all your secrets just some of them.

2. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    I don't have any advice for you, but being this is going to my first winter of fishing I too am curious. Sorry to hijack your thread, but didn't see any reason to start a new topic for my question. Am I pretty much screwed fishing the banks this winter since I won't know the depths of the water I am fishing?

3. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well I fish most of the same structure that I do in the summer. I use the same bait, fresh cut bait on a big circle hook. I always use a life jacket in the winter, that water won't be very forgiving in the winter. Fish ledges and drops on outside bends, fish the head of holes in the channel. It really comes down to tow, time on water. Once you find some good holes, and work them each for 20 to 30 mins. And hole hop. I have maybe 20 0r 25 holes in a 12 mile stretch of the river that I fish. I just hop from holes to hole and see what is being productive that day. There really isn't a over all secret to catching fish everytime you go out, its TOW, and trying different things where you are fishing.

4. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    The coldwater period is the best time to catch a really big blue as far as I'm concerned. If you're going to target big fish, then use a big bait in deeper water. Smaller fish may nibble on the bait, but be patient, if there is a big one there he'll be able to get it down. You won't catch as many fish using bigger baits, but you'll know it will be a big one when that rod finally does double over. Just be prepared and make sure you have equipment that can handle a monster fish if that's what you're after.

5. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    One of my hunting and fishing buddies was running up a creek last winter and got a trotline hung in his prop. It was so bad, he had to cut it out. He was pulling on the line and it pulled back. That wiener had a 20-30lb blue hooked up on that trotline on his outboard. The trotline was not marked. He took a pic and let it go. I don't know if you run trotlines but this one had a tub of stinkbait attached to it.

6. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    This will be my first winter targeting big blues.

Read alot of old posts on many forums regarding this, and it seems the big ones are easier to catch in the winter since they tend to stack up in deeper holes around baitfish. In the summer, they are more scattered as is the bait they are chasing.

7. nightowl

nightowl New Member

State:
    Vicksburg,Mississippi
    I found this write up and wanted to share it with the fellow BOCers!

8. nightowl

nightowl New Member

State:
    Vicksburg,Mississippi
    Sorry guys but im having technical dificulty with my comp. I'll try to post the artical later.

9. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Keep in mind that a lot of you have a far different idea of what "winter" is than others -- water getting all the way down into the 50's and 60's isn't exactly winter where I come from!

Around here, the good winter catfishing starts when the water temps hit about 45 or so -- that's when the lake blue cats seem to congregate in deep old river channels, along with the bait fish and just about everything else. I frequently see the bottom 15 or 20 ft of the water column turn black with fish on my sonar when I cross the river channel. The trick is finding a place you can anchor, tie up or beach the boat and still put your bait down in the middle of the channel. Cut shad works great all winter.

Be careful when you're fishing 40+ ft of water - if you bring the cats up too quickly, their swim bladder doesn't have time to equalize and they get all bloated. Bring them up slowly, pausing every few feet for a couple of seconds and you'll minimize the problem.

10. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    i have never winter fished but this year i am because of a few holes i have found. i fish the missouri river between plattsmouth and nebraska city and have found 4 consecutive holes in a row the deepest 46 feet and the shallowest 43 feet. the average hole around my area is 20-22 feet deep so if these are not winter holes i don't know what would be. this is what in my eyes you want to look for. also these dykes have been blown out and the rocks are scattered all around these holes which adds to the structure, and a huge cottonwood tree also fell into one.

11. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Sounds like you've got a winner Zach. No need to wait for the winter though, those holes might be producing now.

12. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    ya but their is so much current throughout them i cannot anchor very well and an eight ounce weight don't even get close to the bottom. i also lost an anchor and a few setups due to all the snags. i have to wait for the corps of engineers to shut off the flows then the river goes down about 5 foot and i'll be able to fish it easier.

13. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    Hey Zach
    We fish here on the MS with 12 and 16 oz weights almost all of the time. We sometimes use even more. Like you said it is the anchoring that can be tricky not to mention dangerous. We mostly use homemade anchors with sometype "claws" that will grab something. We have them fixed where either the claws will straighten out when you really get it stuck and try to pull them up with boat or have it hard connected to bottom of anchor and zip ties to chain at top so they will break and anchor will come up upside down. As far as loosing anchors that is a given in big rivers I think. Good luck on the wintertime fishing. I enjoy it I think most of all because no one is there to fish the holes before you. I doubt though wintertime here is anything like Nebraska so I might not be tough enough to hang up there.Lol. The coldest water temp I fished was this past year and it was 37 degrees and only caught 1 fish about 10" long but he was bad. He bit about 1/2 of a skipjack that was as long as him:smile2:. I think my favorite time is when water is from mid 50's falling through the mid 40's earlier in the winter though. Good luck and be safe the cold water is definitely more dangerous if you end up out of the boat.

14. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    the river actually freezes over here, i actually know some people that ice fish it (they are freaking nuts). i use the river anchors that you can buy from like cabelas or where ever. my problem is that their is literally no dyke left. last time i fished it we had to anchor to a submerged tree with one branch sticking out. and the water according to my GPS was over 8.5 mph and boiling so the boat sways to much in the hole.

15. camochris2

camochris2 New Member

State:
    nebraska city nebraska
    i fish the missour river and have been on it all my life and i have never seen it freeze over i have seen lots of ice floting down it but never seen it freeze over

16. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    boyer chute does, you been doing any good lately chris?

17. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    Wow 8.5 that is some current. We might get some 5 here and that is what I would call smoking. I had no idea. Maybe you should take up white water rafting:big_smile: