Winter Time Blue catfishing

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Alabamacatman, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Alabamacatman

Alabamacatman New Member

State:
    Phenix city,Ala
    I planning on doing more winter time fishing and I was wondering.How you fish for the big blues when the cooler weather is here...Do you still target the deepest holes in the river?Day time fishing here..Or is there a transition period where they come out and as water temp.gets cold they go back in the deep holes.....

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jody fish the deeper holes but don't overlook some flats. Use smaller baits. Fish much slower and be patient. Slow drifting can be a plus at times. Just to name a few.

3. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I have a couple places I fish in the winter that are mud flats. I like to fish there when the wind is out of the North or South and I always fish into the wind. It blows the bait fish in close to the shore also warms the water a little. I don't fish the deep water unless I am after Flatheads.

4. Alabamacatman

Alabamacatman New Member

State:
    Phenix city,Ala
    Thank yaw for the tips

5. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    When I go for Blues in the winter, it seems like we do better on structure by drop-offs. If you can find where the baitfish are the Blues shouldn't be to far behind them.

6. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Since you are in Alabama,I assume it doesn't get near as cold as up north. I live in Texas,and don't have many rivers to fish. What I can say is about lakes. When we drift,e drift structure,like an old roadbed,tresle,drop off etc. Channels and rivers are good too. We also anchor and fish alot of humps. With that being said,I do know people that rarely fish water more than 4' deep,regardless of weather. They typically hit areas with fallen and standing timber,fishing the edges. Hope something in this helps someone.

7. REDLEG_5

REDLEG_5 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Is that just a regional thing or across the board. Because where I mostly fish on the Ohio is off the bank at a grainery close to a mussel bed loaded with clay. We are ALWAYS catching fish but never any HAWGS! Need help!!

8. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I fish in the James River in VA in a section of river that doesn't get much deeper than 30 feet. Most of my winter fishing is done in water 6 to 22 feet deep. I rely on my Sonar. I concentrate on finding Schools of Shad. Find the groceries and the big ones are usually close by. The 63 pounder in my profile picture , I caught Feb 2 2009 on a pretty winter day, at least nice enough where I could take my jacket off but I remember the water being a chilly 49 degrees and that fish was caught in less than 6 feet of water in a northern cove of a backwater. The wind was warm out of the south and blowing the bait up against the bank. The water was two degrees warmer than the rest of the main river.