Winter time blue catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by ridelife, Jan 3, 2010.

1. ridelife

ridelife New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Im from Texas and not use to this cold weather so out of boardom last year i started a new hobby, building fishing rods
    just finished this one for my wifes Christmas presant.(another late gift) maybe one day ill get her gift to her on time.
    cant wait for warmer weather

Attached Files:

2. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Good looking rod. And here I thought this post was about fishing for winter blue cats. Have you made any cat rods?

3. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Looks like a nice spinning rod....Nothing better than building them yourself so you can get what you want.And maybe save a few dollars.

4. CBurns87

CBurns87 New Member

State:
    Topeka Kansas
    wow i couldnt even imagine building a fishing rod myself:eek:oooh::eek:oooh:....Looks great, hope the wife likes it:big_smile:

5. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Nice Steve. You should come to the gathering next year and show us challenged people how to get started on making our own rod. I would love for some one to just let me watch them do one.

6. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Or heck even come to this years gathering (2010) and show us:big_smile:

Sorry Jay.. I know what you was meaning.....I guess Jim is rubbing off on me:big_smile::smile2::smile2:

7. ridelife

ridelife New Member

State:
    Kansas
    i ment "winter time blues". guess i had catfish on my mind.
    made 2 catfish E-Glass boat rods for a friend.
    I plan on going to the gathering and would be happy to show anyone what little i know about making a fishing rod.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  8. COREY

COREY New Member

State:
    NORTH WEST MO
    NICE JOB STEVE, :big_smile:
    GOING TO ORDER A ROD WRAPPING MACHINE.
    IF YOU DONT MIND ME ASKING , WHAT ONE DO YOU USE

9. ridelife

ridelife New Member

State:
    Kansas
    sorry i ment "winter time blues"

10. ridelife

ridelife New Member

State:
    Kansas
    i just use wood v noched stands i made. I do have a slow turning drying turner. i got from Fish tale tackle (ebay) everything else i buy is from www.mudhole.com

11. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I'm with Jay. I myself wouldn't even know where to begin. So I hope you make it and school some of us. Nice lookin rod to.

12. COREY

COREY New Member

State:
    NORTH WEST MO
    thanks for the pm.:big_smile:
    sent one back not sure i did it right.
    let me know if you get it .:confused2:

13. ridelife

ridelife New Member

State:
    Kansas
    you must have done it right
    i sent you one back

14. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Corey, I made one like the one Cabelas sells, and put a rotisserie motor on it for the lacquer drying process. Pretty easy to make and a LOT cheaper. It extends just like theirs too.

The left side slides out, the v's are covered with pool table material.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  15. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    The other question is how do you get the right blank you want? Especially when you can't just run down to the blank store and bend a few to get a feel for what you want. There are so many terms, fast, slow, heavy, medium and so on. So where the heck do you start. I am so afraid I will buy a blank and end up fishing for blues with a crappie pole.

16. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Jay, fast means the front foot or so is flexible, heavy would be pretty much stiff clear to the tip. I got a book around here some where that explains it all. It's been awhile since I built any, so I don't remember all the terms exactly.
    I do remember, before you mount your guides, you have to determine which side of the blank the spine is on. I believe you put a weight on the tip, keep turning the blank until it dips down, the up side will be the "spine" side.

17. ridelife

ridelife New Member

State:
    Kansas
    i hade the same ? when i made my first rod. If you want to make your own rod call your order in so you can talk with the sale person and they will get you the right blank, the reelseat and right size handle and tip top. pick your thread color( make sure its NPC. so it wont lighten up wen you flex coat it) pick some eyes and make the rod. my first didnt come out looking too good but my freind i made it for has caught some good size catfish on it. cost about 80$ it was a E-glass blank.