winter time blue catfish

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by flattiepattie, Aug 24, 2009.

1. flattiepattie

flattiepattie New Member

State:
    kansas
    hi all this is my first time to post here since signing up. Im kinda new at the whole blue cat fishing. ive been jugging a little on kaw lake lately but not doing too good. I was seeing that alot of you guys like winter fishing and was wondering if you like deep water and how big of baits and any other info would be appreciated too. also whats considered prime time?

2. KATTERMAN

KATTERMAN New Member

State:
    OKLA
    welcome to boc justin if i was you i would put this post also on the blue catfish dissucion forum,they are alot of folks on here with alot good info

3. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Welcome to the BOC

I think they are pretty deep.

4. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC.

5. The Flathead Reaper

The Flathead Reaper New Member

State:
    Grays Cree
  6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Another welcome from Missouri Justin.

7. grandfisher

grandfisher Member

State:
    missouri
    Welcome. Last year was really the first year I went winter catfishing. I consistently caught 10 to 25 pound fish fishing the edges of the main river channel. The channel was 65 foot deep and I was fishing the edge at about 40-45 feet deep. The trick is getting your boat to hold. Drifting would work but I'd think you'd need to drift as slow as possible. I use baits of all sizes. Different days, they seem to prefer different sizes and cuts. I use shad. Heads, mid-sections, fillets and several small whole shad. The big cats seem to like several small whole shad. Fillets off of big shad work good in the winter. Just concentrate on the main channel and watch the graph. Winter time is the easiest time to find and catch nice blues.

8. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC from Alton IL. Good luck.

9. radish

radish Member

State:
    ms
    Welcome to the BOC. The colder the water gets I like the deep holes. I try to find a eddy where the water is slower moving. As far as size bait I think the bigger bait gets the bigger fish.