Winter time Blue Cat fishing / What do you use ?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by DeerHunter01, Nov 7, 2006.

1. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I thought this would be a good post to start and let run through the winter time now.

What do you use for your winter bluecat fishing, do you do any thing different in the winter time then summer time fishing ? What do you look for ?

We have lot's of new people on the board and this will help answer alot of questions before there asked, so if you do see questions about blue's in the winter time you could direct them to this thread.

I would love to see all join in here and post, alot of you fish the winter time and this would be a good area to let us in on the secret so I could call JW and tell him what to use..LOL :lol:

Thanks
    D/H

2. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Anyone that fishes near a dam in the winter time? or do you fish way down river from the dam?
    Or do you fish the lake? River channels or do you fish the humps in the winter time?
    I know I would love to know.
    Pete

3. stephens

stephens New Member

State:
    clarksville tn
    i fish the cumberland river from cheatum dam to bumpus mills and look for the holes in the winter and fish with skipjack,

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    All indications from your success show that frozen bait is just as good as fresh. That and a PATCO sweatshirt should do the trick. LOL!

5. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have found out it's not the skipjack that helps me its that PATCO Sweatshirt with the hood that helps me catch fish, If I didn't have that I would be lost forever..lol

You right though I catch alot of fish on frozen skipjack.

6. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    I upsize bait- usually cut crappie or bream, or skip when I have it. Then I wait.... and wait... and wait... its not furious but its a good time for a monster

7. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Any or all suggestions on how to get skipjack or shad during the winter when you don't have a boat. Have to do it all from the bank. So where is the best place to find them?And don't say in he water:roll_eyes: Just kidding.

8. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    At this time of the year I am catching blues In a lake, Fishing off the bank with cut shad.I have found the fish in 20 to 25 ft of water in the upper 1/3 of the lake The shad are coming to the bank in the coves in the lakes I fish

9. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK

I actually do the opposite and size down my bait in the winter. I use cut bait only in the winter and cut much smaller pieces. I rarely catch any blues on large cutbait or whole baits during the coldest parts of winter. The head of a 4 inch shad catches a lot more blues and big ones than a head off a 8 inch shad. I've cleaned little three pound blues in the winter and cut open to see whats in there belly. I've counted over 40 shad in a three pound blues stomach. There's metobolism may slow down in the winter and they can't process their forage as quickly as in the spring or summer. Their bellies are stuffed but a small little tidbit seems to entice the bite better and larger bait in the winter for me.

10. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    A lot of shad go deeper in the winter to find that slightly warmer water. There's also quite a few that go very shallow also. Shallow water will be slightly warmer on clear sunshine days where the shallows are warming. I'd looked for wind blow points and shores on sunny days and you should find shad in the shallows. I've caught plenty in the shallows when water temps are in the mid thirty's and air temps in the teens.

11. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    I use cut bait all year. I usually use a bigger bait in the winter because most of the shad are full grown by winter so most of the bait is bigger in the winter. No pro but that is what works for me.

12. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    I had spoken with several cat gurus in my area who told me Big cats would rather eat one large meal than expend the energy eating 15 small ones- cold weather is supposedly about gaining the most resource while spending the least amount of energy. Makes sense to me, and seems to wrok where I am fishing.
    -Chris

13. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    I mainly use Skipjack, doesn't make much difference fresh or old, they will eat it if there hungry.

I target humps and wood on the Cumberland, and on the Ohio I target ledges, humps and holes and I normally don't drop anchor until I mark a fish then precision anchor on top of him and lower the baits right over the back of the boat, give it about 30 min. then move on.

Use nothing but some of the largest baits,they can't be casted but need to be lowered behind the boat, head is one bait cut the tail off and will use the gut pocket as another bait then the rest of the fish as another bait, my 56#er came off a frozen whole skipjack that I had to hook in the eyes because the bait was frozen solid, we found this fish staged behind a boulder on the Ohio river, we dropped one pole with the skipjack on it and were getting the other poles ready when he lowered the rod down.

I like the river to be up high and the current boiling while I winter fish, more predictable as to where the fish are going to be staged all of my bigger fish have come from high water and rippin current.

This has worked for me for several years so get out there and experiment, I have never winterized my boats because I'm too busy fishing, the trophys are out there during the cold water periods, I may only get one fish in 3 outings but the one you get should be a hog...............Doc

14. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am still wondering how long my skip can be frozen. I have about 350 of em in the deep freeze I caught in three days about 1 1/2 months ago but they are not freezer burned. Are they still okay?

15. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Cumberland Cat,

I have a couple of dozen that are over a year old and are vacuum packed and are fine, I have used them as old as a couple of years with great results, as long as they bring fish in they should be fine........Doc

16. mskittyfish

mskittyfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    One of THE greatest advantages to living in the great state of TEXAS is that you can fish all winter long! The lakes don't freeze over here and actually my greatest luck has been during the winter months. I am a true believer in water temperature and the full moon. I've found that my best luck of catching a blue catfish is when we've had a short cold spell and suddenly get a very warm day...when the waters warm up suddenly, the blues seem to come in closer to shore ( I always fish from shore due to lack of man with boat....hehe) and generally find them less than 6 feet from shore. When the water temps are cold, I just stay home...lol. And if I just happen to catch a warm night AND the moon is full and shining brightly over the lake, I can be sure to have one of those fish tale tellin nights! As far as baits go, I always use live cut bait or shad. Catchin blues are my favorite and nothing gets me more excited than reelin one in....:beauty:

17. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    glad to see you back Tracey, where ya been hiding?

18. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    thanks for the input on the frozen bait.

19. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    One other thing I have learned is don't allow the frozen skipjack to sit out and thaw, it will be mushy and the blood will turn to a brown color, what I do is take the frozen package, fill the livewell with water and allow the package to float in that water and slowly thaw the bait out, when you put the knife to them the blood will run red as if they were fresh, your other option is to put it on the hook and allow it to unthaw in the water, if the blood is brown it won't be worth the effort to put it on the hook, I will also use Shad that I have Vacuum packed but it is good for one time only, as it too will get real mushy if you don't use the above methods..............Doc

20. mskittyfish

mskittyfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Guess I almost got lost in the transition of old website to new one....but one of yur members musta missed me and reeled me back in..LOL I'll give ya one hint who it was... An eating utensil you use to eat and What we all love to catch...Who is it? Anyone got the answer? In any case, Im glad to be back! Thank you...Tracey