Winter Tackle Stock Up

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by GaryF, Dec 27, 2009.

1. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    You guys are gonna think I'm nuts, but every fall and winter I go to work on stocking up tackle. Now, I could just order a bunch all at once, but I like to take advantage of sales and special offers... Like those Cabela's $15 back on a $50 purchase... what a great chance to buy a bunch of hooks, lol.

So far this year I've got..

300 hooks, Gamakatsu Octopus Circle 8/0 (mostly Cabelas coupons)
    500 barrel swivels, 1/0 (Catfish Connection on sale)
    330 3 way swivels (Ebay)
    300 Size 6 and 7 snaps, stainless (Ebay)
    100 Sinkers, 8oz bank (ordered online)
    400 yards 25lb fluorocarbon leader (Cabelas Bargain Cave)
    Assorted mono leader, 20lb-40lb

I'm still watching for a deal on some 40lb fluorocarbon, and need to get some lead to make more sinkers. I've got plenty of braid for the season from the bulk spools I purchased last winter.

Does anyone else do this? :smile2:

On another note, I've got a bunch of 6-8oz no roll sinkers, and was wondering if anyone wanted to swap me some bank sinkers for them? I figure no rolls are a little harder to make, and I just hate the thought of melting them down when there might be someone who would trade.

2. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    u def. got the right idea. i need to start stocking up myself.

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    So, Gary,
    Are you thinking about doing a bit of fishing?:wink:
    ...W

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I got so carried away i'm still stocked from the winter of 07 :eek:oooh::smile2:!

5. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    I do some what but I need to do a better job looking for the sales.I didn't know cabels gave them kind of savings when you spent $50.I have some gift cards I need to spend.Being I'm in a shopping mood right now I might be heading there next weekend.

Thanks Gary....

6. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I do the whole stock up thing every year..and i tell my self i dont have to buy any hting this season so i just can fish and not worrie about it...but a bout a month in to the fishing season i find my self at bass pro spending $100 on stuff i dont need..lol..I guess i can never have enough..IM headed to Basspro today I need to get a rod i im going to see if they have a split shot mold. and to the local plumber to buy some lead and make a bunch of sinkers:big_smile:

7. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Tom, I saw in the other thread where you took a liking to shopping :smile2:. The Cabelas deal is usually a paper card that they mail you, or sometimes we get a code sent in an email. I just let one expire that would have given $100 off a $500 purchase. That's an awful lot of hooks :crazy:

8. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    I need to start watching the mail.Mona must be hiding them from me:smile2::smile2:

The shopping is short lived.When the roads clear up she's on her own again:smile2::smile2:

9. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I've got a lot of stocking up to do this winter as I lost everything. I'm sure I'll end up on the short end of this deal before it is over.

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Gary I like your organization and re supplying of tackle. I try to do the same during the winter months. I just buy it when I find it. I don't get the bargains you do. So Congrats.

11. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    I just bought a couple of clearance rods from Gander Mountain, and got some hooks from eBay. I'm always looking for good deals no matter what time of year, but buying stuff when it to cold to fish keeps me from getting cabin fever.
    My wife & kids think I need to join anglers anonymous. :embarassed::smile2:

12. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    You have already have joined anglers anonymous Ray,, its called the BOC:big_smile:

13. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    If somethin I'll use is on sale I try to get it. Most of my tackle is cheap anyway.:embarassed: Last year I got lucky and got 2 throw nets from Walmart for 13 bucks. They also had some good deals on gamakatsu hooks. Never seen any real good deals there this year.:sad2:
    Recently I just orderd 100 each of 3/0,5/0, and 7/0 hooks and 144 pack of swivels. Seems like I need a few more though.:tounge_out:
    I got enough lead to last me the rest of my life, but a few more molds would be nice.:big_smile: Gary if you still need to trade we can next time we make it up there.
    Ray, I cant believe you got some more hooks one ebay.:eek:oooh::smile2: Hopefully from someone else?
    I went to Gander Mt today. Their catfish sections sucks and boy are they pricey.:confused2: Hard to beat Catfish Connection.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  14. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Kyle i have seen your tackle it's not cheap,we just alwas think we need to upgrade..:big_smile:

15. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Maybe cheap was a bad word. How about affordable?:smile2::smile2:

16. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    JC, When you go to replace it, take a look at the Abu 7 reels from Rogers, for $69 it's a pretty good deal. I even thought about selling my 9000's and replacing them with those, as I think they would be a more appropriate size and cast a little better.

17. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Yup, someone else, and NAME BRAND this time.:roll_eyes:

18. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    I upgrade all the time. My problem is I never get rid of the old stuff.:embarassed::smile2:

19. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Damn Tom, I was gonna say that:smile2::smile2::smile2:

20. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    How's about economical:wink::roll_eyes::smile2::smile2: