winter tackle building

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by jg_gmc, Nov 2, 2009.

1. jg_gmc

jg_gmc New Member

State:
    west virginia
    ok guys, got tired of buyin sinkers.....bought a production pot,and a new mold for some no roll sinkers, got all the free tire weights i need! woo sounds good right?
    well, started pouring today and im running into wrinkly sinker syndrome! ive read up on it and found there are two types of lead, hard lead and soft. apparently wheel weights are hard lead..... is there a way to refine hard lead into soft lead for better pouring or is it futile and should my cheap !@#$ go buy pure soft lead from the bait store, or am i missing something completely? any suggestions or tips would be appreciated!

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Its not the lead. Id bet that your molds arent hot enough. Keep pouring and the mold will heat up and they will come out smooth. Also try to pour the lead at a nice steady pace so that it doesnt start to set up before you are finished filling it up.
    Wheel weights will work for any sinker except for split shot.
    Hope this helps.

3. jg_gmc

jg_gmc New Member

State:
    west virginia
    i poured a few times with no pin through the sinker to heat them up and it did definately make a difference in texture but im not getting anywhere near how smooth ive seen others. how warm should they be?! i guess practice is needed on my part too. thanks for the info!

4. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Justin the fish dont give a crap about a few wrinkles dont sweat the small stuff my no rolles always have a ripple look

5. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yes! I agree:big_smile:

6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    He has it..something isnt hot enough for sure.

7. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    You could try heating up the mold a bit with one of those Bernzomatic (sp) torches. But as mentioned earlier, the fish really don't care. :wink:

Ray

8. jg_gmc

jg_gmc New Member

State:
    west virginia
    im not to worried about the wrinkles but i am afraid of the wrinkle catching my line at the hole that goes through the sinker, possibly cutting it....ill try more heat guys, thanks much!

9. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    hey man when i first got my no roll mold i made sinkers that were wrinkled. the mold wasnt getting hot enough and just wasnt broke in. just keep melting and pouring and it will come out eventually. and if not look at it like this, it still sinks to the bottom and still weighs the same. a catfish could care less what that sinker looks like. i use mine all the time. so if you cant get the wrinkles out i would sweat it too much

10. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    We also did this for the first time just a week or two ago and ran into the same problem. Seems the hotter the mold got the better AND we at first werent getting the lead hot enough. I mean in the end when they were coming out nice the lead was thiner than water. I dont know if im right but this is just my experience.

11. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yup, mold isnt hot enough. i go so far as to heat the molds wit a propane torch for about 5 min before i start pouring. be careful though, once it gets really hot you will need to wait about 5-10 seconds before you pull the pins on your weights or you will fill in the holes with molten lead from inside the sinker.