Winter shad

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by CatfishCarpenter, Dec 31, 2007.

1. CatfishCarpenter

CatfishCarpenter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I just bought my first 6' casting net. After throwing it out in the snow a dozen times to get the feel, I conjured up the idea to try catfishin' in winter. The only thing is, should I even try catching shad (in December) or should I stick w crawlers or stinkbait? Do catfishs' metabolism slow down in rivers (Tippicanoe R., Starke Co.) like bass? I'm sure they're hidin' in the deep holes, but what about timing? At sunrise? After? Mid-day? B4 dark? Anyone try limblining or trot lines in winter? Works great in spring thru fall.

2. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Roger,
    Yes you can catch shad in December if your willing to put in the time and effort.However, they are easier to get in some areas than others. One little trick ive learned is to watch the river or creek banks for what I call a crane(LONG LEGGED BIRD) usually they are where the shad are. As far as catching catfish, the flatheads for the most part go dormant for the winter. Most on here say once the water temps hit below 55 degrees flathead season are over. Ive found that Blues are a more of a cold water fish, about October they really turn on. This time of year they will be found schooled up in the deep eddie holes. Channels as well can be caught throughout the winter. Ive found the bait of choice for the blues and channels have been fresh shad and skipjack. Here lately ive had alot of success on frozen skipjack.Welcome to the BOC and hope this helps you some. rspd507

3. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    welcome to the boc... ross just gave you a bunch of good info but if you use the search feature you will find a bunch more!!!

4. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    if your fishing river shad can be found in creeks or anywhere they can escape the current for the most part. shad is my seocnd choice skips will always be my first choice and they can be caught using a sabaki rig ( little short white grubs jigs with a wiggly tail) place two on your line about a foot to a 18"'s apart Catfish luv them skips! Glad to see ya' caught the fever unfortunaltly there is no cure :wink:

5. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    :smile2::smile2: i wasnt going to say anything.... thanks paul:wink: i like the feathered jigs to and they dont tear them up like they do the rubber grubs but i still catch a lot of them on the rubber grubs... all i have ever caught on the sabaki are small skips up to about 10" or so i like to have a few of them to use whole but i really like to have a freezer full of the big boys!!

6. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    lol ok ya got me! :eek:oooh::eek:oooh::big_smile::wink:

7. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    Anyways if ya' down evansville way i can show ya where i got mine at:smile2:

8. CatfishCarpenter

State:
    Indiana
    Well...after 3 hours of tryin' to catch some shad, I had to give up. A 1/2 hour of that wuz shovelin' snow to the riverbank! Got pretty windy, too! Honestly I don't know if I've seen any skipjack in Tippicanoe, although I see cranes all the time. I've had to scare them away from my limblines quite a few times! Especially after an accident I had a few years back hookin' one and it drowned! :embarassed:Now I try to check my lines every 2-3 hours if I'm sober enough. It seems my drinkin' time cuts into my fishin' time, and vice-versa!:wink:Maybe I'll try tomorrow in a little deeper water, although the river's 'bout flooded now!
    :roll_eyes:HAPPY NEW YEAR!:roll_eyes:

9. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    Bah o harm no foul Paul i've been known to be wrong before ( just once) and it didnt take a year from my life so i'm thankful!

KEEP THOSE LINES TIGHT!

10. CatfishCarpenter

State:
    Indiana
    TOMORROW DIDN'T COME QUICK ENOUGH! I got a nice $50 tip for those using casting nets! I just lost my net because the loop come undone on my wrist!:eek:oooh: I think the problem wuz the nylon (or poly) rope. They seem to have too much memory and loosened itself up! I'll get it back tomorrow (somehow) and I'm cuttin' that nylon rope and tyin' on some manilla or something that won't work itself loose!:angry:

11. CatfishCarpenter

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah... I did that. In my occupation we call it "choking" an item (my wrist). When I wuz watching a variety of videos on net casting, every one started out saying the first step is to fasten the line to ur wrist. So, that wuz the first thing I did. Nothing lost hopefully. Theres gotta be 1lb or so of weights on that net, and I wuz casting in a small bayou in 4-5 ft. of water. I don't think it's gonna go anywhere. I'm gonna make a grappling hook & tie it to some line to see if I can retrieve it in morning. Hopefully I don't poke any holes in the netting. I've lost worse! Look out kitty, CatfishCarpenter ain't givin' up that easy!

12. jimd46902

jimd46902 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ok, I am new and stupid, but can you catch Skipjack in North Central Indiana(Kokomo area)? Are they in rivers, lakes, or both?

13. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC Roger... Its that easy... just ask and you shall be answered... Someone always has the answer to almost any question... good luck

14. jimd46902

jimd46902 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ok, so... no one knows if there are skipjack here?

15. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Jim,
    We have skips here in Southeastern Indiana. Im not sure if they are in your area or not, but Id say they would be there. Here they are caught mostly near hot water discharges that are usually at power plants on the rivers. I use a sabiki rig to catch them, and sometimes adding a white curly tailed grub on the end of it. These rigs can be bought at bass pro as well as some baitshops. Hope this helps you out. rspd507

16. jimd46902

jimd46902 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks, I will give them a try.... I have not heard of them up here, but you are the first to reply to me... I really appreciate the info.

17. bigcatkev

bigcatkev New Member

State:
    indiana
    Hey Jim if your looking for skipjack your best bet would be the ohio river, Kentucky lake, or the steam plant in Tn is really on fire now for skips, but as far as I know I dont know if skipjack are in are smaller rivers or not. Most of the people I know that live in Indiana travel to the places above to get them. Good luck!

18. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
  19. Wooly

Wooly New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thats a awesome site. Thanks Skipjack for posting it.:big_smile: I'll have to try the Wabash river later this year.

Wooly

20. jimd46902

jimd46902 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks for the help, I have never seen them up here or heard of them but the map shows them here.... I will look harder.
    Thanks
    Jim