Winter shad kill?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Moon Cat, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Moon Cat

Moon Cat New Member

State:
    Upper Marlboro, Maryland
    In the winter on the James river do the Gizzard Shad die from the cold water temps? Or do they migrate down river? Do the shad live for more than one year? Can you catch shad in Jan. or Feb. in the Hopewell area?Im wondering If I go down there if I need to bring bait in Jan. or Feb. Anybody heard anything about gillnets for next year?I have not heard much on this subject.

2. jonnycat

jonnycat New Member

State:
    Maryland
    The gill net issue seems to going in our favor as of Tuesday's meeting with those on the comittee. I have sent you a private message regarding bait and how to reach some others who live right there on the river who know about bait year round. I post on the Maryland Board about the Potomac some as well. I'm looking forward to meeting up with you sometime at Marshall Hall or somewhere close like that. Later for now---jonnycat

3. Nightfisher

Nightfisher Guest

I have seen a few small kills, but for the most part the schools of shad seem to break up and scatter in the winter. I have a couple good bait getting spots that almost never fail, but I'm not giving them up.:big_smile:

4. Moon Cat

Moon Cat New Member

State:
    Upper Marlboro, Maryland
    Thanks for the info. Im just looking for general knowledge not specific areas. I think that If I understand the shad better I will be a better cat man. More time fishing less time catching bait.

5. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    I hear that I spend hours sometimes casting for bait and don't get to fish as much as I would want.

Wheelmobile07

6. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Think deep. They'll be in deeper holes or on flats adjacent to those holes. You need a decent castnet - 1 inch bar, 1.5 oz per radius foot, 8 foot radius or better. You should be able to mark them with your depth finder.

DGIF made the decision to legalize the taking of gizzard shad and white perch with a gillnet last week. The DGIF gillnet license is only good on backbay and it's tributaries, so the VMRC license will likely continue to be required to deploy your net on the James. VMRC is working on cleaning up the recreational gillnet requirements for us but we won't know anything until february. If you get (or have) a gillnet 100 feet or less with a bar mesh of 1 7/8" or smaller, I'm "guessing" that you will continue to be ok once the new regs come out. No promises though! A lot of guys are currently using the 2" bar net, but it's actually illegal up there from Jan 1 to some time in March or April. Who knows, maybe they'll legalize that size. I hope so :roll_eyes: If not, I gotta get a new net.