WINTER SCOUTING

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by adamj, Jan 4, 2009.

1. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    HOW MANY OF YOU SCOUT OUT NEW AREAS ON YOUR HOME RIVERS DURING THE WINTER? IF YOUR SCOUTING FOR NEW BANK AREAS DO YOU LOOK FOR OBVIOUS SIGNS OF A WELL USED AREA OR JUST TRY YOUR LUCK IN A NEW AREA?

2. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I try to look for prime structre close to deep wintering holes. Then that is where I will start fishing in the spring. There is always new structure on the river after the winter storms.

3. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I dont fish rivers that often but I would think I would stay away from them spots that are cleared and y sticks and trash! Not only cause of the fishing pressure but a old wise catman that catches the hawgs isnt going to leave any trace that he was there. Not saying you cant catch decent fish in these hot spots but probley aint going to hook into that monster that noone fishes!

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Any chance I get the time to get out to go ride the river to scout I do. I have posted many different times about how important it is to see your river systems in all water stages throughout the year! It is one of the biggest things I preach importance to those that will listen! :wink: rollo

5. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    when scouting for NEW areas ...i alwas have a map,... checking the depth finder and marking down the obvious. and then looking for creek channels or tributaries that might support good fishing:wink:.... hope this helps ...good luck

6. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I wish I could get a map of the Skuke.

7. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    I was out on the Muskingum on Sat. for five hours. Two of which was fishing, the others scouting. Actually found a new spot to try this Spring.

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Good deal Phil, so you got some bait then. I was wondering if you were gonna call and stop by to get some... I gotta whole bait tank full of baits ready to go, let me know when your coming back this way....rollo

9. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    Yeah, got it from a shop here in Columbus. It's a good baitshop so I'm not going to fault him for what he had this time of year. Nobody fishes for cats in the winter around here. I should have come to you lol...

10. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Thanks for the advice. Buy listening I have learned, a lot about my home water (The Big Sandy) in Eastern Ky... It is loaded with flatheads I'm sure because no one ever targets them. Mostly what I have learned is that if you get off the beaten path to look for a spot to fish there is a lot more river to fish. In the summer the water is so low it hard to reach a lot of it from a boat. So one of the biggest things is getting permission.