Winter River Fishing

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Catmaster9786, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Catmaster9786

Catmaster9786 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey guys, I was wondering if you can fish for cats in ohio rivers all through the winter, or do they shut down so much that you cant????

2. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    Depends on what your looking to catch....flathead's become a very hard when the water temp dips into the 50's(so right about now). You'll get some different opinions on this probably, but Blues seem to be game into the 30's. If you are in a boat, I would look for outside bends with a deep ledge and some kind of structure. I prefer to anchor(opposed to drifting), but I would start at the beginning of the bend and work my way downstream if your not having any luck. I wouldnt sit in one spot more than an hour without action. Look for small holes along the deep bend, their's a good chance you'll find a cat their.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    The Blues can be caught year round on the ohio

4. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Winter is my favorite Blue Cat time !!!

5. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    channel catfish will also bite in winter I have caught them fishing near a low dam when bottom fishing chub for saugeye they pretty much stay in the same area as the smallmouth or saugeye rick

6. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Winter time is hands down my favorite time to catfish. Once the river comes up as it does every winter, and the water temps drop you are in for the best fishing of the season. Blues and channels. If you are chasing flatheads it is very rare to hook up with one in the winter time, we have by a fluke, but they were small. The winter time is good for 2 reasons, 1 being its alot easier to locate fish, they will usually be in the deeper holes or holes that provide good structure or current breaks, and 2 being it does not take long to find out if you are on active fish or not. If you are on feeding blues, the rods won't stay still for long. If you can get past the bone chilling cold and wind chills, those who usually venture onto the Ohio in the winter are usually gonna have a great time, just be careful. That river is an entirely different beast in the winter months. Good luck..:wink:

7. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    great miami also is good for channels low dam deep holes near bridge train tressels is very good action rick

8. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    welcome to the boc tyler good people friend here you will find out what you need to know rick

9. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    Winter time is my favorite time to fish for channels we catch good numbers during this time, But this year im going after blues hope to catch some good ole bigguns or big ole gooduns:wink:

10. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN

You should have no problem catching some blues at the gathering. I think Tbull has those things locked down:smile2:

11. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Winter is hands down the best time to be out there fishing for blues. I fish more the colder it gets.

12. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Ya know, it makes me feel good to know that one of my students (Travis) has leared from all the information I have given him in the past year. He asked me if he could catch cats in the wintertime last year and I told him exactly word for word what he just said above. Good job grasshopper!!!:smile2::smile2:. Hee Hee hee. I crack my self up!!! ya know with the. ahh forget it.

13. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    yeah, infact he is so good at it, he gave up catfishing to crappie fish because he is catching so many cats it was getting old....:smile2::wink:

14. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    Thats why you will find me following him, i got my spotting scope in the boat already,and when i get there im gona put a tracking devise on his boat :wink::smile2:

15. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    My bad man I forgot to tell you, I just got a submarine....Thing is sweet!:smile2:

16. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Was it one of these:smile2:

Submarine

17. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    funny funny........... Real daggon funny. Im not crappie fishin. Im just gettin bait!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wink::smile2:

18. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    HEY!!! That thing is COOL!!! :cool2::cool2:

19. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    my lowrance would go crazy seeing that ...i would have to snag on and take a ride lol:wink::smile2:

20. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    another thing find a warm water discharge from a power plant fish there channel and blue will be around that there is one south of dayton the fishing will be good there even flatheads might be active there rick