Winter projects

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by katfish ken, Nov 27, 2009.

1. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I know there are fishing day left for us in Ky. But what are those Projects and upgrades ya want to do to the boat or fishing equipment???

I am thinking of putting a trolling system with planer boards on my boat for some off season walleye fishing. I'm wanting to change the lay out of the seating on my boat a bit. Maybe add a 20 gal bait tank. I have an dual on board charging system I am thinking of putting on the boat.
    I may never get around to all of these but they are things that I think about, that I can do this winter when the weather makes me say( it just to cold) I don't want to get out.

2. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Nothing like thinking about next season fishing.

3. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    NEXT COUPLE WEEKS:
    Get these 12 monsters mounted
    Get the big livewell built in to the boat rehook up the Akwa-Lung
    Move the console
    Windshield mounted
    Get my rear anchor winch mounted and the remote run to the console
    Get the trolling motor mounted

WISH LIST:
    Get a Lowrance HDS 8
    Find a lower unit to switch out from the jet

4. Atta boy Mike, rear anchor winch, you are reading my mind!!!!:wink:

I've already started on a few things, even though I am still running the boat every few days. Just installed and completed 1 of 3 possible rod racks on the rear of the boat.

In the plans for the winter:
    Moving console/re-arranging seats/livewell.
    Re-plumb/new pumps for bilge and livewell.
    Fix some soft wood sections here and there that are pretty beat/rotted.
    New fuel tank pickup assembly & fuel lines.
    Mount a few work lights and some led interior lights.
    Move top mount top mounted front anchor winch below the front deck. Clean up/cover wiring & cables running to outboard over transom.
    Fix stereo antenna and move speakers.
    Install keel guard.

Wish list:
    Rear anchor winch.:wink:
    More rod holders.
    Possibly get a good deal on a used Hummingbrid 997c...........from.....like.......somebody in.......Chambersburg.....:big_smile::eek:oooh:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2009
  5. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Well I had an Oquawka boat built this year, and the guy who builds them has said I'd be back to have things modified. He is right. I want the fuel tank stretched across the back to make a seat storage compartment. I also want the front deck raised some and I also want a built in livewell in the front deck. I can do most of the installation, but I don't have access to an aluminum welder, so I have to farm some of this out. anyway I'm going to attempt this and still keep fishing. We have the only open water for miles in the winter. I have also bought some heaters so me feet don't get cold, so I have to figure out how to make these work for me as well. Later Andy

6. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I forgot to mention a new fish finder.:embarassed: The one I am using is about 30 yrs. old. It was top of the line at the time But I would like to have a newer one So I could see the arches where the fish are.

7. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    well i'm thinking pontoon,install sonar,bait tank,lights,rod holders,grill.some storage,big list but easy to do have my eye on 2 pontoons,but i'm trying to find one that says take me!!!!!!!:smile2::embarassed:

8. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Be sure to let me know when you get the plainer boards ready and I will help you try them out.I don't know how to rig planer boards or use them but would like to learn.
    Jake

9. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Jake you can bet you'll be there. We can learn together I guess. Figure it will be spring before they are done though, unless I get off my lazy but. Looks like some cooler weather on the way the next week or so.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  10. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I dont have a boat (yet..lmao)...BUt this winter im going to be making sinkers galore and stocking up on termanal tackle and even bass fishing stuff and bluegill and bullhead gear so i can catch bait alot easyier!!!

11. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Well, I had this anchor winch on my last boat, but didn't put it on the SeaArk, Figured I might as well put it to use. Not doing much sitting in the garage.

Far as the 997, been kicking the idea around on selling it. just haven't got serious about it yet, pending lowrance getting the software bugs out of the HDS Models.

12. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    You can use those planer boards to troll for blues look it up online !

13. I wouldn't mind setting up one on mine, had to throw the rear anchor out last night, the wind was gusting a little swinging the boat. Whole other world pulling that anchor in by hand, haha.:wink:

14. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i am going to be doing some stocking up on gear and making some different things to make my trips easier and better. im def going to rig a lantern up with a half shade and some more pole holders. there are some other things i have thought of, but i cant think of them off the top of my head.

15. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Well, as long as we are talking "wish lists", I"d like to install a few more chairs so I can invite the ladies from Hooters out for a while. Darn, they sure look good on television. LOL

16. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    They look good in person too Shucks....:big_smile:

17. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    For now my winter project is to put some sauger and walleye in the freezer.
    Jake

18. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I'm planning on sauger fishing some this winter too. Or anything else that will bite.

19. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I'll do that Lance thanks for the heads up on that. Stripers and hybrids too

20. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I wanna go with you some Jake. I want to learn more about Sauger fishing and catch some to bring home to eat.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009